Our experienced Michigan truck accident lawyers have obtained substantial settlements for victims of trucking accidents. These include crashes with other cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians. The injuries from these accidents are usually catastrophic and too often result in the death of an innocent person.
Types of Large Trucks Involved in Serious Accidents
The most common types of trucks involved in serious injury accidents include:
- 18 Wheelers
- Heavy haulers
- Moving trucks
- Concrete transport trucks & cement mixers
- Mobile cranes
- Dump trucks
- Postal trucks, Fed Ex trucks, & UPS trucks
- Tanker trucks
- Garbage trucks
Michigan Truck Accident Statistics
There were almost 25,000 heavy truck crashes in the State of Michigan in 2014. Many of these accidents resulted in serious injuries and death. The Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning reports 213 fatalities from heavy truck crashes in Michigan in that year. There were over 2,000 reported injuries from these accidents. The majority of those crashes were with passenger cars and station wagons, but a substantial number occurred with pickup trucks, small trucks, and motorcycles.
What are the Common Causes of Michigan Truck Accidents?
While some of the causes of truck accidents are obvious, like a rear-end collision, there are numerous other causes of these crashes that may not seem so obvious. We hire the nation's top accident reconstruction experts to help us prove and win our cases. We will do the same for you.
The most common causes of truck accidents are the following:
- Fatigue, sleepy or tired drivers driving too many hours without rest
- Truck drivers drinking alcohol or drug use
- Running off the road
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Unsafe safety systems, reflectors, lights and other warning devices
- Improper loading of the truck
- Oversized truck
- Lack of training on the part of the truck driver
- Poorly maintained brakes on the truck
- Reckless driving
- Driving in conditions of poor visibility due to smoke, fog, snow or rain
- Poorly maintained tires
- Wide turns
Michigan Truck Accident Safety Violations
Our Michigan truck accident lawyers also have extensive knowledge of the complex trucking regulations for both interstate and intrastate motor carriers. Truck accident cases are often won by proving that the truck driver and trucking company operated their trucks in violation of the trucking laws. Many times the truck driver is drowsy due to an unlawful number of hours on the road or the accident is caused by defective equipment on the truck. We will investigate all possible violations to prove and win your case.
Common Injuries From Michigan Truck Accidents
The most common injuries from a Michigan truck accident are:
- Spinal cord injuries, including quadriplegia and paraplegia
- Broken bones and Fractures
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Closed head/traumatic brain injury
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Road rash requiring significant skin grafts
- Permanent disability
- Burn injuries
- Amputation injuries
Who can be Sued for a Michigan Truck Accident?
When suing for injuries suffered in a truck accident, there are numerous parties that may be liable to compensate you for the harm caused in the crash. These include the:
- Truck driver
- Employer of the truck driver
- Owner of the truck
- Leasing company of the truck
- Owner of the truck leasing company
- Owner of the trailer, if attached to the truck and different than the owner of the truck
- Company leasing the trailer
Determining the identities and the role of these people and entities requires the skill of an experienced truck accident lawyer. The relationship between these people and companies is often complex. Each person and entity often has separate insurance coverage so it is necessary to properly identify each party in order to maximize the potential insurance coverage to pay a settlement.
How do I File a MichiganTruck Accident Lawsuit?
You will most likely have to file a lawsuit for injuries caused in a truck accident. Due to the severity of these crashes, these cases rarely settle before a lawsuit is filed. You need to get an experienced law firm on your side immediately after the accident.
Trucking companies are very aggressive in their post-accident investigations. They send out their own insurance investigators immediately to gather evidence, inspect the vehicles and the roadway, and to take witness statements. Their goal is to show that the truck driver was not at fault for the accident and to point the blame at the innocent victim.
You need your own investigation to find the truth and to counter the trucking company insurance investigation. When you choose our law firm for your case, we start our own investigation immediately to gather all the evidence necessary to prove and win your case. Our truck accident lawyers can:
- Interview eyewitnesses and parties to the crash
- Photograph all vehicles involved in the accident
- Review all state police and other accident reports for their accuracy
- Obtain the driver's logs to determine if there was a violation of permissible driving hours
- Get the driving history of the truck driver to find out about criminal convictions and accident history
- Get the truck maintenance records to determine if the vehicle had mechanical issues or problems
- Download the vehicles' black boxes to get important data on speed, braking, and other factors
- Obtain the cell phone records of the driver to determine if texting or other distractions contributed to the accident
- Hire accident reconstruction experts to determine the speed of the vehicles, provide opinions on skid marks, and prove that the truck driver caused the accident
- Create a computer simulation of the accident to show to the jury at the time of trial
- Review your medical records to prove the seriousness of your injuries
- Hire an economist to prove your loss of income and earnings caused by the accident
The insurance companies defend truck accident cases very aggressively. Your case deserves the attention of an award winning truck accident law firm on your side that has the resources, skill, knowledge, and experience to battle them and win you the best possible settlement. Choosing a law firm without these attributes will ruin your case.
What types of Compensation can I get for a MichiganTruck Accident?
A victim of a heavy truck accident can sue the trucking company, truck driver, and other parties for several different types of compensation. These damages are often significant and include:
- Pain & Suffering
- Fright & Shock
- Mental Anguish
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Disability from activities and work
- Wage loss and loss of earnings
- Other economic losses
For fatal truck accidents, the surviving family members can file a Wrongful Death Lawsuit. These lawsuits seek compensation for the pain and suffering endured by the decedent from the time of accident until death, the loss of society and companionship suffered by family members, loss of income, loss of support, and funeral and burial expenses.
How Much are Michigan Truck Accident Settlements?
Truck accident settlements are often substantial due to the serious injuries caused by the collision. Most trucking companies have large commercial insurance policies with high policy limits, which means that the accident victims often receive greater compensation than in a typical car accident. Many trucking companies even have more than one policy.
In fatal truck accident cases, we file a wrongful death lawsuit for the surviving family members. Settlements in a wrongful death lawsuit includes compensation for the pain and suffering of the decedent, loss of society and companionship for the surviving family members, lost income and support, medical expenses, and funeral and burial expenses.
Examples of Our Michigan Truck Accident Settlements
- $1,800,000 Settlement for a client who was struck by a semi-truck on I-94 near Detroit.
- $ 950,000 Settlement for a woman in Saginaw who was rear-ended by a truck.
- $ 800,000 Settlement for a Muskegon man who was struck by a truck on the highway.
- $ 675,000 Settlement for a Genessee County woman who suffered orthopedic injuries
- $ 525,000 Settlement for a truck accident victim on I-75 in Detroit, Michigan
More Examples of Truck Accident Settlements in Michigan
- $11,900,000 fatal truck accident settlement filed on behalf of three passengers who were killed when a speeding truck driver ran a red light, swerved into oncoming traffic and flipped over onto their vehicle. The passengers were trapped and crushed under the weight of the truck and died due to asphyxiation.
- $8,000,000 truck accident settlement for two passengers who were severely injured when a semi-truck collided with their minivan. One passenger suffered from a severe traumatic brain injury and facial, rib, and vertebral fractures. His wife suffered from a closed-head injury, several fractures, nerve damage, and a torn meniscus which required surgery.
- $4,950,000 head on truck accident settlement. The victim suffered from a traumatic brain injury, fractures of the hip, femur, and tibia, and knee injuries which required surgery.
- $4,700,000 fatal truck accident settlment for a backseat passenger in a vehicle plowed into by a negligent truck driver. A passenger was fatally injured in a Michigan trucking accident.
- $4,250,000 truck accident wrongful death settlement filed by the family of a woman who was killed by a semi-truck driver.
Michigan Trucking Company Insurance Carriers
Our Michigan truck and automotive accident attorneys also understand issues relating to trucking company insurance companies. This allows us to determine all possible insurance policies so that we can obtain the best settlement for our client. Companies carrying trucking insurance policies work aggressively to limit the amount of compensation and benefits they pay out. It is important to have an attorney not afraid to take on big insurance companies when you have been injured in serious truck accident.
Michigan Truck Accident Lawyer Review
Best Michigan Truck Accident Lawyers
Our legal team includes the most successful truck accident attorneys in Michigan. Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. and our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal profession, including:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firms
- "Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney" by American Lawyer Academy
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Honored as "Super Lawyers"
- Top Martindale-Hubbell Rating (AV) for Skill & Integrity
- Member of Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Our No Fee Promise on Michigan Truck Accident Cases
You can afford to have the best truck accident law firm on your side. It literally costs nothing to get started and if your case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started
- We pay all case costs and expenses
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls are always free, forever
Start Your Michigan Truck Accident Case Today
There are three ways to get started on your case. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. We will contact you shortly.
- Chat with the online intake specialist and an attorney will be in touch soon.
- Call (800) 606-1717 any time of day to tell us about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan truck accident lawsuits. Call us now to get started on your case and help you win the maximum settlement.