Our top-rated Michigan motorcycle accident lawyers can help you if you or a passenger was injured while riding a motorcycle. We represent bikers and passengers in motorcycle accident cases. We get motorcyclists sizable settlements against at-fault drivers and help them file insurance claims for their no-fault insurance benefits.
Our motorcycle accident lawyers have the highest possible ratings in the legal profession for both skill and integrity. Bikers consider us the top motorcycle accident law firm in Michigan. We are members of ABATE and support a large number of other motorcycle clubs and groups across the State of Michigan.
What is Defined as a "Motorcycle" in Michigan?
The laws for motorcycle accidents in Michigan are different than for other types of motor vehicles. There is often confusion regarding whether a specific type of motorized bike, like a moped, is considered to be a "motorcycle" as defined by Michigan law.
In Michigan, the definition of a motorcycle is a "two- or three-wheeled motor vehicle with a saddle or seat that can attain speeds greater than 30 mph on a level surface. There are similar vehicles, like"pocket rockets" or "mini choppers," may meet this broad definition, but do not have all of the equipment required by Michigan law to legally drive them on public roads and will not be registered by the Department of State. To qualify as a motorcycle, all equipment requirements must be satisfied.
Michigan Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle accident statistics published by the Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning show there were 2,680 motorcycle-involved accidents in Michigan in 2014. From that total, 107 motorcyclists were killed and 2,309 were injured. There were 308 bikers with incapacitating injuries. Of those killed, 88% of victims were traveling straight ahead just prior to the fatal crash.
With respect to motorcycle helmet usage, 46.7% of motorcyclists killed were wearing helmets vs. 44.9% who were not wearing helmets. The number of fatal motorcycle accidents was down 9.1% from 2005 and there were 600 total less accidents than in prior ten year period. These numbers include both bikers and passengers. Statistics for 2015 are not yet available.
Questions After Your Michigan Motorcycle Accident
You probably have a number of questions and concerns after your motorcycle accident on injuries, settlements, and more, including:
- What are the legal rights of a motorcycle accident victim?
- Am I entitled to no-fault insurance benefits after a Michigan motorcycle accident?
- Which insurance company has to pay my no-fault insurance claims?
- Who pays my medical bills and expenses for injuries caused by the accident?
- How do I get my lost wages and income paid if I am disabled from work?
- Can I sue the negligent driver that caused the accident for pain and suffering damages?
- Should I speak with the insurance adjuster without an experienced lawyer?
- Can I just settle my claim myself instead of hiring a motorcycle accident attorney?
- Will I need to file a motorcycle accident lawsuit to get a settlement?
- Is the insurance adjuster really trying to help me or just stringing me along?
- Who is the best Michigan motorcycle lawyer?
- How can I get the highest settlement compensation for my case?
- What are the motorcycle accident statistics in Michigan?
When you call our motorcycle accident law firm, you will speak directly to an attorney who will answer all of your questions. Michigan motorcycle laws are complex and confusing and we will carefully explain all of your legal rights to you.
No-Fault Insurance Benefits After Your Motorcycle Accident
Our lawyers will determine exactly which no-fault insurance company is required by law to pay your motorcycle accident no-fault insurance benefits. We will contact that insurer to set up your claim and then submit all of your claims for you to the assigned adjuster. We will then monitor the file to make sure every penny of your benefits are being paid to the hospitals, doctors, clinics, and medical providers. Our attorneys will also get your lost wages paid.
We also help you with your claims for lost wages claim, attendant care services, replacement services, and medical mileage. If the adjuster refuses payment or terminates your benefits, we will file a lawsuit against the insurance company.
How We Win Your Michigan Motorcycle Accident Case
Motorcycle accidents are almost always caused by careless and negligent motorists, and not the biker. Too often, however, there may be no independent witnesses to the accident and the police officer simply accepts the vehicle driver's version of the accident. This can result in the police officer wrongfully place the fault on the biker.
Many times, the motorcyclist is in an ambulance on the way to the hospital when the police interview the negligent driver. We have had many cases in which the police never even spoke to the motorcyclist to get the biker's version of how the accident happened. This results in blame being placed on the wrong person.
Our legal team will do everything possible to prove that the driver of the vehicle that hit you was negligent and caused the crash. To win your case, we will:
- Get all police accident reports
- Subpoena videos of the accident from the police car
- Subpoena any traffic light video cameras
- Subpoena surveillance video from buildings in the area to see if they captured the accident on video
- Subpoena the 911 call made after the accident
- Interview all eyewitnesses with our own special investigators
- Take measurements of the roadway and area of the accident, including skid marks
- Photograph and measure the damage to the vehicle and the motorcycle to determine speed and point of impact
- Hire nationally respected motorcycle accident reconstruction expert witnesses to analyze the accident
- Have a 3D animation created to demonstrate how the accident occurred to the judge and jury
Michigan Motorcycle Accident Settlements & Compensation
Michigan law provides for several types of compensation to the victim of a motorcycle accident. Settlements and jury verdicts include money damages for:
- Pain & Suffering (at the time of the accident and going into the future)
- Fright & Shock
- Psychological Injuries (like post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Scars & Permanent Disfigurements (including road rash)
- Disability from Work & Activities (including recreational activities)
- Loss of Income & Wages (in excess of your no-fault wage claim)
- Bystander Claims (witnessing a family member injured or killed in an accident)
- Death (filing a Michigan Wrongful Death Lawsuit)
Compensation to Family Members for Fatal Motorcycle Accidents
In a case involving the death of the motorcyclist or passenger, the surviving family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit. These cases seek damages for conscious pain and suffering from the time of accident until death, the loss of society and companionship of surviving family members, loss of income and support, and other economic damages.
The lawsuit can be brought by a family member of the decedent and is filed on behalf of the entire family. The person bringing the suit is appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate for the purposes of filing the case, but all family members have rights in the suit. The parties need a judge to approve the settlement and the amount of the settlement shares for each family member. Family members who do not agree with the settlement or their shares of it can appear at the court hearing and object. The judge may then hold a hearing to determine the fair distribution of the shares to each person.
Examples of Our Michigan Motorcycle Accident Settlements
We have a great track record of motorcycle accident settlements and jury verdicts. We settle over 97% of our cases for the maximum amount before ever going to court.
- $5,000,000 Judgment against a negligent driver who struck and severely injured a motorcyclist in Kalamazoo
- $1,100,000 Settlement for a Detroit biker injured when a truck forced him into oncoming traffic.
- $ 750,000 Settlement for a husband and wife severely injured after being hit by a car on a Michigan highway.
- $ 560,000 Settlement for a Michigan motorcyclist injured in Florida motorcycle accident.
- $ 500,000 Settlement for a Flint area biker who was seriously injured in an accident.
- $ 485,000 Wrongful death settlement for hit by a van on the highway in a fatal accident.
- $ 100,000 Settlement for insurance policy limits for Emmet County motorcycle accident
More Settlements for Motorcycle Accidents in Michigan
- $9,500,000 Settlement for a motrocyclist struck by a City of Detroit Department of Transporation Bus
- $2,750,000 Settlement for a Michigan fatal motorcycle accident lawsuit. The biker was killed when a test driver turned left into him..
- $1,900,000 Settlement for a motorcyclist seriously injured in a Grand Traverse County collision with an SUV. The motorcyclist suffered a traumatic brain injury and multiple bone fractures which have required 18 surgeries.
- $1,600,000 Settlement for a biker who fell from his motorcycle when a farm truck and trailer pulled out into the roadway in Saginaw County
- $1,260,000 motorcycle crash settlement. The motorcyclist was injured and rendered unable to work after an Eaton County collision with a motor vehicle. The biker sustained significant orthopedic injuries, causing extensive physical limitations.
Free Michigan Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Consultation
Tell us your story and we will explain your legal rights to you and answer all of your questions. You can meet with one of our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at our office, your home, or in a hospital. Our legal team will investigate your case and assist you with all of your motorcycle accident insurance claims. We will also get you the maximum possible motorcycle accident settlement for your injury case.
Best Michigan Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Our legal team includes the most successful motorcycle accident attorneys in Michigan. Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. and our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal profession, including:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firms
- "Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney" by American Lawyer Academy
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Honored as "Super Lawyers"
- Top Martindale-Hubbell Rating (AV) for Skill & Integrity
Our No Fee Promise on Michigan Motorcycle Accident Cases
It costs you nothing to have our Michigan motorcycle attorneys get started on your case. If we cannot get you a settlement, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to start your case or anytime until receive your settlement
- We pay all case costs and expenses for your motorcycle accident lawsuit
- You are charged no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- We will meet with you and take your phone calls as often as you request at no charge
Start Your Michigan Motorcycle Accident Claim
Get started on your motorcycle accident case today. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page and will we contact quickly.
- Type an online chat in the pop up box and a lawyer will read it and call you.
- Call (800) 606-1717 any time of day to speak with our attorneys about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan motorcycle accident lawsuits. Call us to learn more about motorcycle accident lawsuits and settlements.