Our Michigan bicycle accident injury lawyers represent victims of bike accidents on streets, highways, and roadways. We also represent bicyclists injured in parking lots and in crosswalks. Settlement claims can often be filed for their personal injuries as a result of the accident. In cases involving fatalities, the families of the person killed can file a Michigan wrongful death claim. We can help you if your bicycle accident was today or anytime in the past.
Michigan Bicycle Accident Statistics
There were 1,763 bicyclists involved in auto accidents in Michigan in 2014. Of that total, 1,378 bicyclists were injured according to police traffic crash reports. There were 21 fatal bicycle crashes on Michigan roadways.
The majority of the bicycle accidents occurred during daylight hours, with the peak hours of 5:00 - 5:30 p.m.. for crashes. The peak time for fatal crashes was at night from 9:00 - 9:30 p.m.. Male bicyclists account for the majority of those injured, including those killed in fatal bicycle accidents. Fortunately, there were no bicycle deaths involving children in 2014.
Can I Get No-Fault Benefits For A Michigan Bicycle Accident?
Yes, you are automatically entitled to no-fault benefits if you were a bicyclist hit by a car in Michigan. No-Fault Insurance claims for medical expenses, lost wages, and other benefits are available to a bicycle accident victim even if you did not own a vehicle or have a No-Fault Insurance policy at the time of the accident. You can also receive benefits for a bicycle hit and run accident.
Our bicycle injury lawyers will help you file your claim so that you receive the benefits you are rightfully entitled to from the insurance company. Medical expense benefits are unlimited and last your entire lifetime. There are strict time deadlines for filing your insurance claims so it is important that you contact us as soon as possible after your bike accident.
Most Common Causes of Michigan Bicycle Accidents
Most bicycle accidents are caused because drivers are not paying attention to bicyclists or simply ignore the rights of cyclists. The most common causes of bicycle accidents in Michigan include:
- Excessive speed
- Failure to yield
- Unlawful turns (often left turns at intersections & right turns with bicyclist on right side)
- Distracted driving (texting & cell phone usage)
- Hit by a car door opening
- Sideswiping a bicyclist
- Crossing into marked bicycle lanes
- Driving into crosswalks without regard for bicyclists
- Driving into sidewalks without looking for bicyclists
Quite often, there are no witnesses to the bike accident and the police listen to the driver's version of the accident. This can result in the police officer wrongfully place the fault on the bicyclist. Many times, the bicylist is in an ambulance on the way to the hospital when the police interview the negligent driver. We have had many cases in which the police never even get the bicyclist's version of the story and this results in blame being placed on the wrong person.
Proving the Driver Was at Fault for Your Bicycle Accident
Our legal team will do everything possible to prove that the driver of the vehicle that hit you was negligent and caused the crash. In most cases, we:
- Get all police accident reports
- Subpoena videos of the accident from the police car
- Subpoena any traffic light video cameras
- Subpoena surveillance video from buildings in the area to see if they captured the accident on video
- Subpoena the 911 call made after the accident
- Interview all eyewitnesses with our own special investigators
- Take measurements of the roadway and area of the accident
- Hire nationally respected bicycle accident reconstruction expert witnesses to analyze the accident
- Have a 3d animation created to demonstrate how the accident occurred to the judge and jury
Most Common Types of Michigan Bicycle Injury Cases
Catastrophic injuries, even wrongful death are frequent outcomes of bicycle accidents in Michigan. Some of the most common resulting injures include:
- Closed head/traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries, including quadriplegia and paraplegia
- Broken bones and Fractures
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Burn injuries
- Amputation injury
It is important that if you or someone you care about is injured that you hire an experienced Michigan bicycle accident attorney immediately to begin the investigation of your claim. Hiring an attorney early is important so that important evidence can be obtained, such as photographs and witness statements, that can help prove and win your case.
How to Determine the Amount of a Bicycle Accident Settlement?
There is no specific formula, guideline, or calculator used to determine the right amount of a bicycle accident settlement. There are many factors that insurance companies and attorney's use to determine the value of a bike accident injury case. These include the fault of the driver, any fault attributed to the bicyclist, the seriousness of the injuries, the type of medical treatment, the presence of any scars or disfigurements, and the length of time of disability.
Every case is different so a careful evaluation of all facts must be considered before agreeing to a settlement. The insurance policy limits of the negligent driver and the owner of the vehicle also play an important factor in determining the settlement amount. Our legal team will consider everyone of these factors and then work to get you the highest possible settlement for your case.
What Types of Damages Can be Claimed in a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit?
The term "damages" in a lawsuit refers to the type of harm a person has suffered as a result of the accident. If the case goes to trial, the jurors are asked to evaluate the different damages for a specific case. The jury then decideds the dollar amount for each type of damage claim proven at trial.
For a bicycle accident lawsuit in Michigan, the types of allowable damages include:
- Pain & Suffering (at the time of the accident, during the period of recovery, and going into the future)
- Fright & Shock
- Psychological Injuries (such PTSD & depression)
- Scars & Permanent Disfigurements
- Disability from Work & Activities (time away from work and being unable to participate in recreational activities)
- Loss of Income & Wages (past, present, & future)
- Bystander Claims (witnessing a family member injured in an accident)
- Death (filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit)
What Are The Damages in a Fatal Bicycle Accident Lawsuit?
In a case involving the death of the bicyclist, the surviving family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit. These cases seek damages for conscious pain and suffering of the bicyclist from the time of accident until death, the loss of society and companionship of surviving family members, loss of income and support, and other economic damages.
The lawsuit can be brought by a family member of the decedent and is filed on behalf of the entire family. The person bringing the suit is appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate for the purposes of filing the case, but all family members have rights in the suit. The parties need a judge to approve the settlement and the amount of the settlement shares for each family member. Family members who do not agree with the settlement or their shares of it can appear at the court hearing and object. The judge may then hold a hearing to determine the fair distribution of the shares to each person.
Examples of Our Michigan Bicycle Accident Settlements
Our expert Michigan bicycle accident lawyers win the highest possible settlements and jury verdicts. Below is an example of bicycle accident lawsuits won by our award winning law firm.
- $1,000,000 Settlement for the family of a bicyclist run over by a truck in a Macomb County wrongful death lawsuit
- $ 750,000 Settlement for a bicyclist hit by a transportation van in the Downriver Detroit area
- $ 600,000 Settlement for a bicyclist who suffered a traumatic brain injury in an Ann Arbor area accident
- $ 290,000 Settlement for a client who was injured while riding a bike on Mackinaw Island.
- $ 280,000 Settlement for Grand Rapids bicycle accident wrongful death lawsuit
- $ 250,000 Settlement for a Macomb County wrongful death lawsuit filed against a motorist.
- $ 100,000 Settlement for a bicycle rider who suffered serious injuries in Monroe.
- $ 100,000 Settlement for a 65 year old man who was struck while riding his bike in Clinton Township.
- $ 90,000 Settlement for a bicyclist struck by an SUV in Garden City.
More Bicycle Settlements in Michigan
- $4,500,000 settlement. A bus passenger was killed in a Detroit accident when he was run over while removing his bicycle from the front of a bus.
- $2,000,000 wrongful death lawsuit verdict. A minor riding a bicycle was killed when a pickup truck driving on the bike path stopped suddenly and reversed over the child. The property owners were also held liable for permitting vehicular traffic on a children’s bike path.
- $1,250,000 fatal bike accident settlement. A bicyclist was killed in an Otsego rural road when he was struck from behind by a motor vehicle. The driver of the vehicle mistakenly believed she had given the bicyclist enough room as she tried to pass. The bicyclist sustained severe injuries in the collision that lead to his ultimate death.
Free Guide for Michigan Bicycle Accident Victims
If you or a loved one have been the victim of a bicycle accident in Michigan, you can download our FREE hand guide, "The Ultimate Michigan Bicycle Accident Guide," by Lawrence J. Buckfire. The insurance laws in Michigan that apply to bicycle accidents are very complicated and change on almost a daily basis. This guide will help you understand your legal rights if you were injured in a bicycle accident, and will help you eliminate hours of stress, confusion, and uncertainty.
The book sells for $14.95 on Amazon, but you can download it immediately for FREE.
Best Michigan Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Our legal team includes the most successful bicycle accident attorneys in Michigan. Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. and our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal profession, including:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firms
- "Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney" By American Lawyer Academy
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Honored as "Super Lawyers"
- Top Martindale-Hubbell Rating (AV) for Skill & Integrity
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Our No-Fee Promise For Michigan Bicycle Accident Cases
We will represent you in your bicycle accident case under our NO-FEE PROMISE. This means that you will not be charged any legal fees whatsoever unless we obtain a settlement or recovery for you. You have absolutely no obligation for legal fees unless we win your case. If we do not obtain a settlement for you, you owe us nothing!
Contact Our Michigan Bicycle Accident Attorneys
For more information regarding your rights after a Michigan bicycle accident, call our experienced bike accident attorneys now at (800) 606-1717 to discuss your case. We will determine if you are eligible to receive no-fault insurance benefits and receive a settlement. We have helped bicyclists just like you who have suffered serious injuries in biking accidents.
Call us today to schedule your free consultation. There are absolutely no fees unless you receive a settlement!