Bicycle accidents are very dangerous and many cyclists sustain significant injuries. It is important for all bicyclists to know they do have rights when involved in a collision. To enforce your rights and get the treatment and compensation you deserve, bicyclists must follow some guidelines to ensure these benefits. The League of Michigan Bicyclists have made tips for bicycle crash victims, these include:
- If you’re not hurt, call 911 for medical help for all parties.
- Apply immediate first aid.
- If you are hurt, don’t move unless you are sure you will not injury yourself.
- Don’t get mad.
- Get the following information from the motorist: Name, address, phone number, license number, license plate number, vehicle make-model-year, and insurance company and policy number.
- Get witnesses names and phone numbers.
- Get the police officers names and badge numbers along with the police report number.
- Take pictures of the crash site with a camera or camera phone when applicable.
- Do not admit anything, simply state the facts.
- Do not say you are “okay.” You may not know until later. If asked, simply say something such as “I will know more after I see my doctor.”
- If asked about your bicycle, say, “I will have to have a professional check it for damage.”
- Insist that the investigating officer records your account of the crash for his/her accident report.
- While it is fresh in your memory, write down exactly what happened.
- Call your own insurance agent. (Michigan is a “no-fault” state.)
- Keep a copy of all medical bills and papers regarding the crash.
- Keep and/or photograph any damaged clothes or equipment. Also keep receipts for replacement and repair costs.
- Have a mechanic make sure you bike is in safe and working order before you ride it again.
In addition to these tips, it is essential to contact an attorney immediately, especially if there is any dispute as to who was at fault. The experienced bicycle accident attorneys of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. will represent victims under our NO FEE promise. Those injured in a bicycle accident can call our office at (800) 606-1717 for a free consultation with one of our bike accident lawyers.