Michigan car accident lawyers are frequently contacted by auto accident injury victims many months or even years after suffering injuries in a Michigan car accident. Because many months have passed, it is often more difficult to obtain important information to help the client with his no-fault insurance claim for a claim against a negligent driver.
Contacting a Michigan car accident lawyer shortly after the acccident is beneficial because it starts the investigation before witnesses relocate, memories fade, and vehicles are repaired. For more information regarding the investigation of your car accident, check out these resources:
Michigan Car Accident Advice & Information
There are many things that a car accident victim can do immediately after an accident, and even before calling an attorney, that will help with the auto accident case. These include:
- Keep your auto insurance declaration page and your registration in your car so that you can provide the information to the police.
- Write down the license plate number of the other vehicle involved in the accident.
- Write down the driver's license number and home address of the other person involved in the vehicle. Ask to see the driver's license and also request a telephone number.
- Obtain the insurance information from the driver of the other car.
- Look around to see if there were any witnesses. Often times, witnesses will come to the scene to assist the parties. Write down their names and phone numbers. Also get there addresses if possible.
- Wait for the police to arrive at the scene to investigate the accident and take witness statements. Leaving the scene of a car accident can result in criminal charges in many states.
- Take photographs of the damage to the vehicles and the location of the vehicles in the roadway.
- Promptly report the accident to your insurance company. There may be limits and restrictions on filing claims.
- Seek prompt medical attention if you are injured.
These may seem like common sense things to do, but many people are upset and shaken after an accident and forget these important steps.
Contact Our Michigan Car Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one have been injured in a Michigan car accident, you do have legal rights to pursue compensation. Call our award winning legal team today at (800) 606-1717 to speak with an attorney about your case. If we believe we can help you, we will begin work on your case immediately. We do not charge any legal fees unless you receive a settlement. There is nothing to lose, so call us today!