The lawyers of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. represent victims of nursing home abuse and neglect throughout the State of Michigan. These types of lawsuits arise from a number of different types of neglect and abuse, including physical, sexual, or mental abuse. One of the attorneys at our office, Daniel Buckfire, recently came across a recent article published in the Oakland Press that at least six nursing homes in Oakland County received the worst possible rating for compliance to state and federal regulations. According to the report, there were almost 118,000 deficiencies, or reports of nursing home neglect taking place, involving 14,565 nationwide.
In Michigan, the nursing homes with the most serious incidents of neglect and abuse, receiving bad ratings include:
- Lahser Hills Care Center, Southfield, Michigan
- Farmington Health Care Center, Farmington, Michigan
- Cambridge South Healthcare Center, Beverly Hills, Michigan
- Clarkston Specialty Healthcare Center, Clarkston, Michigan
- Boulevard Health Center, Rochester Hills, Michigan
- Medilodge of Rochester Hills Inc., Rochester Hills, Michigan
Some of the violations committed by the above care facilities are listed below:
- Denying the rights of a married couple to share a room.
- Prevent misappropriation of narcotic medication for patients.
- Facility did not report two nursing employees to the state agency for not having professional nursing licenses and certifications.
- Putting residents at severe risk of elopement.
- Took 20 minutes to respond to a call light for a resident whose head was bleeding due to a fall.
- Failure to consistently use preventative measure to maintain skin integrity.
- Failure to aid a resident in need of assistance while eating and drinking; thus resulting in a burn from spilled tea.
- Failure to treat residents with dignity and respect.
- Subjected residents to embarrassment
Furthermore, according to another report done by the Detroit Free Press, seventy-seven percent of Michigan nursing homes were cited at least once in the last three years for serious violations with thirty-three of those cases involving the wrongful death of nursing home residents. These deaths and injuries were preventable and were caused due to the negligence and errors of the nurse, caretaker, or nursing home facility.
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries due to nursing home abuse or neglect at one of these nursing homes or any other nursing home in the State of Michigan, you should contact a lawyer immediately to learn your legal rights. The lawyers of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. specialize in these types of cases and have a record of obtaining sizeable settlements for the neglected patient and his/her family. Call our office now at (800) 606-1717 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Michigan nursing home neglect lawyers about your case. Our experienced attorneys will start working on your case immediately, gathering all the evidence necessary to prove and win your case.