Our bicycle accident lawyers in Michigan at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. represent victims of these accidents on streets, highways, and roadways. We also handle bike injury clients from accidents in parking lots and in crosswalks. Often times the bicycle accident involves a bicyclist hit by car with the negligent driver causing the accident due to distracted driving or simply not paying attention to the person on the bicycle in the crosswalk. However there are instances when a bicyclist may cause an accident if they do not follow the rules of the road, and can be ticked just as easily as a motorist.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2010 there were 618 bicycle accidents in the United States, compared to 628 fatalities in 2009. In addition, typically, a pedestrian is killed in a traffic crash every 113 minutes and injured in a traffic crash every 8 minutes. Bicycle accidents are completely preventable if you know the proper rules of the road that are there to keep you safe.
According to the League of Michigan Bicyclists, every bicyclist must know these important safety tips to ensure your safety and the safety of others on the road including:
1. Signs and signals
- Signal left turns by extending your left arm straight out to the left.
- Signal right turns with an upturned left arm.
- Signal stopping or slowing by extending your left arm straight down with your palm facing rearward
2. Road and lane placement
- Ride predictably, consistently and attentively.
- Stay to the right, but don’t hug the curb. Ride in the right wheel track of motor vehicles.
- When stopping your bike for a rest or emergency, move completely off the road.
- At intersections make eye contact with drivers
3. Ride to the right and never against traffic
- Never ride against the direction of traffic (on the left side of the road). Ride in the right lane except when avoiding road hazards, passing another vehicle, or preparing to make a left turn.
4. Where motor-vehicle speeds exceed 45 MPH, ride in bike lanes or on paved shoulders, except when avoiding road hazards, passing another vehicle or making a left turn.
5. Cross railroad tracks at a right angle
Our No Fee Promise For Michigan Bicycle Injury Cases
We will represent you in your bicycle accident injury case under our NO FEE PROMISE. This means that you will not be charged any legal fees whatsoever unless we obtain a settlement or recovery for you. You have absolutely no obligation for legal fees unless we win your case. If we do not obtain a settlement for you, you owe us nothing!
Contact a Michigan Bicycle Injury Attorney
Our experienced bicycle accident lawyers in Michigan have a top track record of obtaining sizeable settlements for their injured clients and have earned the highest possible rating in the legal profession for integrity and professionalism. Get started on your Michigan bicycle car accident case today by calling the law firm of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. at (800) 660-1717 or fill in the orange Get Help Now box on this page and “Click to Send.” We will call you shortly to discuss your case.