The Southgate pit bull attack lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. represent victims seriously injured after being attacked by a pit bull. Our firm has successfully represented dog bite victims and their families for over 40 years throughout the State of Michigan, and has the knowledge, expertise, and experience in handling these types of cases. We have a track record of obtaining sizeable Michigan dog bite settlements, jury verdicts and providing the best service possible for our injured clients after being attacked by a pit bull.
Dog Bite Laws
Many cities and counties have ordinances regarding pit bulls and the responsibilities of dog owners. An owner or keeper of a dog who violates these ordinances can be held liable for damages in a civil lawsuit to a dog bite victim that was attacked by a pit bull. The ordinances can be used to prove a case in addition to other Michigan dog bite laws.
Southgate Pit Bull Laws
In Southgate, there are laws that apply to dog owners. A full completed list of pit bull ordinances can be found on the Southgate City website. Specifically, some laws are as follows:
610.14 The owner of a dog commonly known as a Pit Bull Terrier, either an American Staffordshire Terrier, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or an American Pit Bull Terrier, registered or nonregistered, or of any dog of a mixed or crossbreed with any of such breeds, shall:
- Be eighteen years of age or older
- Have such dog tattooed, registered and licensed with the City
- Provide information, including the name, address, telephone number, city and county, from whom or where the owner acquired such dog
- Notify the Southgate Animal Shelter within a twenty-four hour period when the owner has knowledge that such dog is at large, unconfined, has attacked an individual or has died
- Notify the Animal Shelter within a twenty-four hour period when such dog is sold or given away to another person. The notification shall include the name, address, telephone number and city of the new owner
- Keep such dog in a securely enclosed area or on a leash and muzzled at all times
Ord. 669. Passed 1-6-99.
Dog Bite Lawsuits For Pit Bull Attacks
Michigan law holds the person who owns, keeps, or harbors the dog responsible for a dog bite or attack, regardless of prior knowledge (called, “strict liability” laws) of the viciousness of the animal. Also, the negligence law is used to hold the owner responsible for the attack. This means that the dog owner is liable if the injury occurred because the dog owner was unreasonably careless in controlling the dog. The only defense to the dog owner in these cases is if the victim provoked the attack or was a trespasser on the property.
Contact Your Southgate Dog Bite Lawyer
If you or a family member were attacked or bitten by a pit bull in Southgate, you should call our office now at (800) 606-1717 to speak with our top rated pit bull attack lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. We will start working on your case immediately gathering all the evidence and witness statements to win and settle your case.