The lawyers of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. represent victims of nursing home abuse and neglect, obtaining the highest settlements for injured patients and their families. Recently, one of our top rated Buckfire Law attorneys, Daniel Buckfire, came across a compilation by ProPublica that reported at least half a dozen nursing homes in Oakland County received the worst possible rating for compliance to state and federal regulations. One of the care facilities included in this report is Boulevard Health Center located in Rochester Hills, Michigan.
Nursing home abuse and neglect describes a situation in which a nursing home care provider failed to treat a patient at a reasonable standard expected from a care provider, and as a result the patient suffers injuries or death. Common causes of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Failure to turn or move immobile patients
- Failure to bathe patients
- Failure to supervise or monitor patients
- Monitor nutrition and hydration/dehydration
- Verbal abuse or residents
- Reduced staff-patient ratios
Boulevard Health Center provides services such as: memory care, vaction.respite care, and comport/hospice care. They also provide a number of therapies, these include: orthopedic rehabilitation, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, skilled nursing, nutritional therapy, recreational therapy, I.V. therapy, and wound care.
Violations against Boulevard Health Center include:
- Failed to consistently use preventative measures to maintain skin integrity - findings included bedsores, gluteal wounds, heel wounds, and ruptured blisters.
- Failure to provide adequate supervision and ensure that the exit door alarm sounded when opened.
- A resident exited the building and no one noticed because "CNA's left their assigned posts early." Surveillance shows staff leaving their unit with their coats on and punching out early. Thus, leaving the unit unattended.
Victims of nursing home abuse or neglect can file a lawsuit. However, in order to sue for a nursing home neglect case in Michigan, you must be able to prove a care provider or facility was negligent, and their negligence led directly to your injury. The process is very complex and requires an experienced Michigan nursing home neglect lawyer.
If you or a loved has been neglected or abuse while in a Michigan nursing home, you should contact an attorney immediately to learn your rights. The experienced lawyers of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. handle these types of cases frequently and represent clients under our NO FEE promise. Call our office today at (800) 606-1717 for a free consultation with one of our top-rated Buckfire lawyers.