Every day our Michigan motorcycle accident lawyers see the outcome of motorcycle accidents, handling cases for injury victims or ones who have lost a loved one in an accident. The injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents are often serious and even catastrophic. Many times, the degree of injury or harm could have been much less severe if the biker had taken proper safety measures while riding.
Michigan Motorcycle Accident Analysis
The statistics were tailored by Michigan Traffic Crash Facts and are worth noting.
- There were a total of 4.082 motorcycle accidents in the year 2008. Of those accidents, 127 were fatal motorcycle crashes.
- The number of motorcycles involved in fatal crashes increases 58.8 percent since 1999 (10 year period).
- 3,314 bikers were injured in 2008 in Michigan and 125 motorcyclists were wrongfully killed.
- The death rate in 2008 based on deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled in Michigan is 15.4.
Ride Safe So You Can Ride Again - Protect Yourself While Riding
We recently viewed a new video on motorcycle safety that is circulating the internet. The short video sends such a powerful message without a single spoken word. We realize the seriousness of not taking necessary safety precautions while riding a motorcycle and want to share this video with you.
The video "Who Looks Out For You When You Ride?" depict a fairy godmother saving a biker who is injured in a motorcycle accident portraying the message that unless you have a fairy godmother no one will be able to save or protect you from a motorcycle accident besides yourself.
Michigan Biker Safety Tips - Prevent Yourself From Becoming a Motorcycle Accident Victim
The message the video gets across is a very powerful and truthful meaning. If you are seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, no one will be able to save you. You can however, save yourself, if you take the necessary safety precautions before getting on the bike for a ride.
Some of these tips include:
- Wear an approved helmet that effectively prevents disabling and fatal head injuries
- Practice hard braking techniques regularly (front and back break together)
- Wear bright, solid colored riding gear to ensure others will see you on the road
- Always keep eyes peeled and scan road ahead of you
- Make sure your riding boots are waterproof in case you get stuck riding in the rain
- Be sure to test your lights, brakes, and turn signals before riding
- Use turn signals when making a turn
- Wear durable non-slip gloves
- Stick to the speed limit
- Do not tailgate other vehicles
- Don't ride in blind spots - make sure other drivers can see you
- Respect other drivers by not weaving in and out of traffic or driving on the shoulder of the road
Contact A Michigan Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Victims of motorcycle accidents do have legal rights and should pursue them immediately after the accident. Our Michigan motorcycle accident lawyers will represent you in your Michigan motorcycle accident case and start working on your case immediately, gathering all the evidence necessary to prove and win your case. Call us now at (800) 606-1717 or simply submit this contact form to speak with one of our top Michigan motorcycle accident attorneys.