Motorcycle Accident Injuries and Helmet Facts
- Helmets are estimated to prevent 37 percent of fatal motorcycle injuries for motorcycle riders (operators)
- Helmets are estimated to prevent 41 percent of fatal injuries for motorcycle passengers.
- Helmets saved over 1,800 rider’s lives in 2008
Benefits of Wearing A Motorcycle HelmetWearing a motorcycle helmet may or may not help prevent less serious injuries to the motorcyclist injured in the motorcycle accident; however, reports do show that there are benefits of wearing a motorcycle helmet. These benefits include:
- Reduced risk of head injury by 69%
- Can improve hearing, by reducing wind noise.
- Help prevent eye injury from debris on the road
Hospital visits tend to be lengthier for riders who did not wear a helmet. In addition, they are likely to suffer from a head injury by 40 percent. In fact, motorcycle crash-related injuries and deaths totaled $12 billion in medical care costs and productivity losses in one year.