Car Accidents
No Legal Fees Until You Settle or Win
Get Free Case Review

Underinsurance Motorists Coverage in Michigan Car Accidents

The Michigan underinsured motorist claim lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire P.C. have obtained significant settlements for clients injured in a motor vehicle accident by a driver without car insurance. In Michigan, most auto insurance companies’ offer underinsured motorist coverage which will provide protection to you and your family in situations where you are involved in a car accident with another car which did not have enough liability insurance to cover your damages and injuries.

In Michigan, the minimum auto insurance liability policy is only $20,000 per person in an accident. Therefore, many times, individuals have injuries and damages which far exceed the other driver’s minimum liability policy of $20,000. In an underinsurance motorist claim, generally, injured persons will have to file a lawsuit against the negligent driver and owner of the other vehicle involved in the accident, as well as make a claim with their own insurance company for the underinsurance motorist coverage.

For example, if individual A has $100,000 in underinsurance motorist coverage and is severely injured due to the negligence of individual B who has only $20,000 in liability coverage, individual A would file a lawsuit against individual B for the $20,000 in liability coverage, and would seek an additional $80,000 in coverage against his or her own insurance company under the underinsurance motorist coverage.

This coverage, along with uninsured motorist coverage, is very inexpensive and probably the most important coverage you can purchase in your auto insurance policy.

It is very important to contact a Michigan underinsured motorist claim lawyer as soon as possible after the accident. There are very strict time limitations in pursuing this type of claim. Therefore, if you are involved in an auto accident with an underinsured driver, we recommend that you contact an underinsured motorist attorney at our office immediately at (800) 606-1717.


Do I have an Michigan underinsurance claim?