A new school year is about to begin for Michigan students. Although school bus accidents do not happen often, it is still wise that parents discuss school bus safety tips to their children so that they are well aware of the possible dangers school busses do present.
Prevent School Bus Accident Injuries
As a resource to all parents of children getting ready to go back to school, our Michigan child injury attorneys have provided some tips by the National Safety Council to help prevent school bus injury. The following tips include:
Getting on the School Bus
- When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic and avoid roughhousing or other behavior that can lead to carelessness and distraction. Do not stray onto streets, alleys or private property.
- Line up away from the street or road where the school bus picks up.
- Before stepping onto the roadway, wait until the bus has made a complete stop and the doors have opened.
Getting off the School Bus
- If you have to cross the street in front of the bus, walk at least ten feet ahead of the bus along the side of the road until you can turn around and see the driver.
- Make sure that the driver can see you.
- Wait for a signal from the driver before beginning to cross the street.
- When the driver signals, walk across the road keeping an eye out for sudden traffic changes.
- Stay away from the bus’ rear wheels at all times.
Our child injury attorneys highly recommend you go over these safety tips with your child before the upcoming school season so that they understand the importance of being safe and following school bus rules!
Protecting Your Child’s Rights After A Michigan School Bus Accident
At the law firm of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. our Michigan child injury lawyers represent parents and their injured children in accident cases involving school bus injuries. Depending on how the injury occurred, parents may be able to file a claim for their child’s damages. Contributing factors such as bus driver negligence, dangerous roadways, weather conditions, defective products and improper maintenance, poor supervision, among others are most often the cause of these bus accidents.
Parents should be aware that students who are injured in Michigan school bus accidents may be entitled to Michigan no-fault insurance benefits. These benefits will pay for their medical bills and expenses incurred due to the school bus injury. In addition to medical expense benefits, other no-fault benefits such as attendance care services may also be available.
For more information about whether or not you have basis to file a claim on behalf of your child for injuries in a Michigan school bus accident, call our top rated law firm now at (800) 606-1717. We will start working on your case immediately gathering all the evidence and witness statements to prove and win your case. We will also represent you under our No Win, No Fee Promise, which is our guarantee to you that you have no legal obligation to pay any fees whatsoever until we win or settle your case. Call today for a free, no obligation consultation with one of experienced child injury attorneys.