Our Michigan bicycle accident lawyers handle cases involving victims of these accidents on streets, highways, and roadways throughout the State of Michigan. Many motorists are completely indifferent to the rights of bicyclists and others simply refuse to alter their driving habits to accommodate people riding bikes. The results of these accidents are often life changing.
What are the Most Common Causes of Michigan Bicycle Accidents?
The most common causes of bicycle accidents in Michigan include:
- Driving too fast
- Failing to yield to bicyclists
- Running red lights
- Illegal turns (often left turns at intersections & right turns with bicyclist on right side)
- Distracted driving caused by texting & cell phone usage
- Hitting a bicyclist when opening a car door
- Sideswiping a bicyclist on the shoulder of road or highway
- Crossing into marked bicycle lanes
- Driving into crosswalks without regard for bicyclists
- Driving into sidewalks without looking for bicyclists
What are some Common Injuries Suffered by Bicyclists?
Catastrophic injuries, even wrongful death are frequent outcomes of bicycle accidents in Michigan. Some of the most common resulting injures include:
- Closed head/traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries, including quadriplegia and paraplegia
- Broken bones and Fractures
- Back injuries, including herniated discs
- Neck injuries
- Shoulder injuries, such as torn rotator cuffs
- Knee injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement, including road rash
- Burn injuries
- Amputation injuries
What Determines the Settlement in A Michigan Bicycle Accident Case?
There are several factors that go into determining compensation payout for a bicycle accident victim in Michigan. These include:
- How the bicycle accident occurred
- Whether the bicyclist was partially at fault for the accident
- Where the bicycle accident occurred
- Whether the negligent driver has insurance coverage for the accident
- The amount of the insurance policy limits for the case
- The type and location of the injuries (arms, face, legs)
- The seriousness of the injuries and the type of medical treatment
- The permanency of the scars and disfigurement
- The age and sex of the victim
- The amount of medical bills related to the bicycle accident
Our Recent Michigan Bicycle Accident Settlements
We have obtained significant settlements for victims of bicycle accidents in Michigan. We have listed some of these settlements below.
- $1,000,000 bicycle accident judgment for our client who suffered catastrophic injuries in a Monroe County, Michigan.
- $1,000,000 settlement in a bicycle wrongful death lawsuit filed in Macomb County, Michigan.
- $ 600,000 Settlement for a bicyclist who suffered a traumatic brain injury in an Ann Arbor area accident
- $290,000 Michigan bike accident settlement for a victim who riding a rented bicycle and was struck by another bicyclist on Mackinac Island. She fell from her bike and suffered significant injuries, including a fractured arm that required surgery, ulnar nerve damage, and permanent scarring.
- $250,000 settlement for a victims’ family that who was killed riding her bicycle in Shiawassee County.
- $120,000 jury verdict on behalf of a client hit by a minivan while riding their bicycle in Royal Oak, Michigan.
- $100,000 bicycle accident injury settlement for a woman injured in a Monroe County bicycle accident.
More Bicycle Settlements & Verdicts in Michigan
- $4,500,000 settlement for the family of bus passenger killed in a Detroit accident when he was run over while removing his bike from the front of a bus.
- $2,000,000 wrongful death lawsuit verdict. A minor riding a bicycle was killed when a pickup truck driving on the bike path stopped suddenly and reversed over the child.
- $1,250,000 fatal bike accident settlement. A bicyclist was killed in an Otsego rural road when he was struck from behind by a motor vehicle. The driver of the vehicle mistakenly believed she had given the bicyclist enough room as she tried to pass. The bicyclist sustained severe injuries in the collision that lead to his ultimate death.
These are only a few of the many sizeable settlements we have won for our bicycle accident injury clients. To view more of our Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. case results, visit our Michigan settlements and jury verdicts page.
What Is The Settlement Value of Your Michigan Bicycle Accident Case?
Using the factors listed above, we can evaluate your bicycle accident case and discuss with you a realistic settlement range. Of course, we may not know the answers to all of the different factors at the time of our discussion because much may be unknown at the time. That being said, we can tell you if you have a case worth pursuing and what the likelihood is of receiving a settlement for you case. We will also help you file your claims for Michigan No-Fault Insurance.
FREE Michigan Bicycle Accident Book
If you or a loved one have been the victim of a bicycle accident in Michigan, you can download our FREE hand guide, "The Ultimate Michigan Bicycle Accident Guide," by Lawrence J. Buckfire. The insurance laws in Michigan that apply to bicycle accidents are very complicated and change on almost a daily basis. This guide will help you understand your legal rights if you were injured in a bicycle accident, and will help you eliminate hours of stress, confusion, and uncertainty.
The book sells for $14.95 on Amazon, but you can download it immediately for FREE.
Our No Fee Promise For Michigan Bicycle Accident Cases
We will represent you in your bicycle accident case under our NO FEE PROMISE. This means that you will not be charged any legal fees whatsoever unless we obtain a settlement or recovery for you. You have absolutely no obligation for legal fees unless we win your case. If we do not obtain a settlement for you, you owe us nothing!
Highest Rated Michigan Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Our legal team includes the most successful bicycle accident attorneys in Michigan. Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. and our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal profession, including:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firms
- "Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney" By American Lawyer Academy
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Honored as "Super Lawyers"
- Top Martindale-Hubbell Rating (AV) for Skill & Integrity
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Our No Fee Promise on Michigan Bicycle Accident Cases
You can afford to have the best injury law firm on your side. It literally costs nothing to get started and if your case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to get started
- We pay all case costs and expenses
- No legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls are always free, forever
Get Your Free Michigan Bike Accident Lawyer Consultation
There are three ways to get started on your case. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. We will contact you shortly.
- Chat with our online specialist and a lawyer will be in touch soon.
- Call (888) 797-8787 any time of day to tell us about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan bicycle accident lawsuits.