Our Michigan accidental death lawyers help families who have lost a loved one in a fatal accident. Fatal injuries occur in motor vehicle accidents, recreational accidents, slip and fall accidents, construction accidents, and all other types of accidental injury cases. Deaths also occur from falls in hospitals and nursing homes.
How Do You File an Accidental Death Lawsuit in Michigan?
When a person dies due to an accidental death in Michigan, the surviving family members can file a Michigan wrongful death lawsuit. Wrongful death lawsuits in Michigan are authorized by the Michigan Wrongful Death Act.
The Michigan Wrongful Death Act, MCL § 600.2922, which states:
(1) Whenever the death of a person or injuries resulting in death shall be caused by wrongful act, neglect, or fault of another, and the act, neglect, or fault is such as would, if death had not ensued, have entitled the party injured to maintain an action and recover damages, the person who or the corporation that would have been liable, if death had not ensued, shall be liable to an action for damages, notwithstanding the death of the person injured, and although the death was caused under circumstances that constitute a felony.
Who Can File an Accidental Death Lawsuit?
Typically, a wrongful death lawsuit is brought by the family member of the person who suffers the accidental death. However, a guardian or another family representative can also bring the claim. In this type of lawsuit, the family of the decedent can bring a lawsuit in court and sue the negligent person or business that caused the death.
What is the Compensation in an Accident Death Case?
Under Michigan law, damages that can be claimed in a wrongful death lawsuit include:
- Pain and suffering, which is the conscious pain and suffering fof the victim from the time of accident until death
- Loss of income, which is the loss of earnings of the decedent past, present, and into the future
- Loss of support, which is the loss of financial support to family dependents
- Loss of services, which is the value of raising a family, assistance around the house and parenting
- Loss of society and companionship, which is how the death has affected the family members
- Medical expenses and funeral expenses
Visit The Best Michigan Wrongful Death Lawyers
Our legal team includes the most successful wrongful death attorneys in Michigan. Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. and our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal profession, including:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firms
- "Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney" by American Lawyer Academy
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Honored as "Super Lawyers"
- Top Martindale-Hubbell Rating (AV) for Skill & Integrity
What Are the Statute of Limitations For a Michigan Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
The procedures for filing wrongful death claims and lawsuits are different in every state. The time limitations for filing lawsuits varies as well. In addition, the type of case also determines the statute of limitations as each case type has a separate and distinct time filing deadline. If you miss a deadline, your claim will be lost forever.
Free Guide for Michigan Wrongful Death Lawsuits
When someone dies an unlawful or accidental death due to the fault of another, surviving family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit. To better understand the secret deadlines that will destroy your case if you delay in hiring a lawyer, download our The Ultimate Michigan Wrongful Death Lawsuit Handbook," by Lawrence J. Buckfire.hand guide, "
Cases related to wrongful death accidents are brought by family members seeking justice for the loss of a loved one. We can help your family after a tragedy involving an accidental or unlawful death.
The book sells for $14.95 on Amazon, but you can download it immediately for FREE.
Take Advantage of Our No Fee Promise For Michigan Accidental Death Lawsuits
We will represent you in your Michigan wrongful death lawsuit under our NO FEE PROMISE. This means that you will not be charged any legal fees whatsoever unless we obtain a settlement or recovery for you. You have absolutely no obligation for legal fees unless we win your case. If we do not obtain a settlement for you, you owe us nothing!
Contact our Michigan Wrongful Death Lawsuit Lawyers
For more information on how to file a wrongful death lawsuit, call us now at (888) 797-8787 to speak with one of our experienced Michigan wrongful death lawyers about your case. We will start working on your case immediately and begin gathering witness statements and evidence to prove and win your case.