Our Michigan nursing home neglect lawyers often pursue cases on behalf of residents who suffer serious injuries from falls out bed. These injuries are preventable with proper safety precautions and patient care plans. Falls out of nursing home beds often lead to serious injuries, like fractured hips, and even death.
Risk Factors For Falls Out of Beds
The strongest risk factor domains predicting the likelihood of future falls include: a previous fall, age, abnormalities of gait and balance, visual and cognitive impairment. The nursing home staff must do a proper assessment to determine if he or she is a fall risk. There are many factors that contribute to a fall from a nursing home bed, which include:
- The resident is disoriented and attempts to get out of bed without assistance
- The resident has dementia or some other condition which affects their ability to understand the danger of falling from bed
- The resident is on medications that affect the coordination and stability of the patient to get out of bed without assistance
- The resident needs to use the bathroom and presses the call light for assistance, but no one shows up to the room to help
Safety Precautions To Prevent Falls from Beds
If the resident is a fall risk, especially from bed, the facility must take necessary precautions to prevent the fall. These fall prevention measures and injury prevention measures include:
- Use of bed rails or restraints in certain circumstances
- Use of bed alarms to alert staff if the patient attempts to get out of bed
- Use of floor pads next to the bed to minimize injury if the patient does fall out of bed
- Frequent “coaching” by the nursing home staff for the resident to call for assistance when needing to get out of bed
Legal Rights of Residents After Fall From Bed
When a nursing home resident falls out of bed due to the failure of the nursing home staff to properly assess the risk of a fall injury or fails to take measures to prevent a fall injury, the resident and the family can pursue a nursing home negligence case on behalf of the resident. This will not only help compensate the resident for the injuries or the family if the patient dies from the fall, but will help prevent other similar incidents from occurring at the facility at a later date.
Contact a Michigan Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
Our experienced nursing home attorneys handle cases for resident falls from beds in Michigan nursing homes. Individuals injured from a fall should contact a Michigan nursing home neglect lawyer immediately to discuss your case. Call our office now at (800) 606-1717 to discuss your case.