The Center Line pit bull attack lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. represent victims seriously injured after being attacked by a pit bull. Our firm has successfully represented dog bite victims and their families for over 40 years throughout the State of Michigan, and has the knowledge, expertise, and experience in handling these types of cases. We have a track record of obtaining sizeable Michigan dog bite settlements, jury verdicts and providing the best service possible for our injured clients after being attacked by a pit bull.
Dog Bite Laws
Many cities and counties have ordinances regarding pit bulls and the responsibilities of dog owners. An owner or keeper of a dog who violates these ordinances can be held liable for damages in a civil lawsuit to a dog bite victim that was attacked by a pit bull. The ordinances can be used to prove a case in addition to other Michigan dog bite laws.
Center Line Pit Bull Laws
In Center Line, there are laws that apply to dog owners. A full completed list of pit bull ordinances can be found on the Center Line City website. Specifically, some laws are as follows:
- No person shall permit a dangerous dog to go outside its kennel or pen unless it is securely leashed with a leash no longer that four feet in length. No such dog shall be kept on a chain, rope or other type of leash outside its kennel or pen unless a person is in physical control of the leash. Such dogs may not be leashed or tied to inanimate objects. Any such dog on a leash outside its kennel or pen must be muzzled by a muzzling device sufficient to prevent the dog from biting persons or other animals.
- All dangerous dogs shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or kennel, except when leashed, muzzled and controlled. Such pen, kennel or structure must have secured sides and a secured top attached to the sides. All structures used to confine dangerous dogs must be locked with a key or combination lock when such animals are within the structure.The structure must have a secure bottom or floor attached to the sides of the pen or the sides of the pen must be embedded in the ground no less than two feet from the grade. All such structures must be adequately lighted and ventilated and kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
- No dangerous dog may be kept on a porch, patio, or any part of a house or structure that would allow the dog to exit such a building. No such animal may be kept in a house or structure when the windows or screen doors are the only obstacle preventing it from exiting.
- All owners or handlers of dangerous dogs within the city shall display in a prominent place on the premises and on the pen or kennel a sign stating the word “Beware of Dog”. The letters shall be at least three inches in height.
- All owners or handlers of dangerous dogs must obtain liability insurance with an insurer authorized to write liability insurance in this State providing coverage in each occurrence, subject to a limit, exclusive of interest and costs, of not less than $50,000 for bodily injury, death or property damage caused by the dangerous dog.
- No more than one dangerous or vicious dog shall be kept on any premises in the city with the exception of puppies, which shall be removed after weaning (generally six weeks of age).
Dog Bite Lawsuits For Pit Bull Attacks
Michigan law holds the person who owns, keeps, or harbors the dog responsible for a dog bite or attack, regardless of prior knowledge (called, “strict liability” laws) of the viciousness of the animal. Also, the negligence law is used to hold the owner responsible for the attack. This means that the dog owner is liable if the injury occurred because the dog owner was unreasonably careless in controlling the dog. The only defense to the dog owner in these cases is if the victim provoked the attack or was a trespasser on the property.
Contact Your Center Line Dog Bite Lawyer
If you or a family member were attacked or bitten by a pit bull in Center Line, you should call our office now at (800) 606-1717 to speak with our top rated pit bull attack lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. We will start working on your case immediately gathering all the evidence and witness statements to win and settle your case.