Boating provides Michigan residents and tourists great recreation during the hot summer months. However, a fun summer’s day on the water can turn tragic if certain boat safety precautions are not followed. Our boating accident lawyers see the consequences of these serious accidents all too often.
The most important of these precautions is to wear a properly-fitted life jacket or a personal flotation device. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a life jacket can dramatically decrease your chances of drowning while boating. Some boating and life jacket statistics compiled by the CDC are listed below:
- 3,358 people were injured and 736 people died in boating incidents in 2009.
- In 2009, 90% of those who drowned were NOT wearing life jackets.
- Alcohol use was the leading contributing factor in fatal boating incidents in 2009.
- 46% of all boating fatalities occurred when vessels were docked, anchored, or drifting.
- Seven out of ten boating incidents are caused by operator error.
In addition, the CDC has also provided a list of safety tips all boaters should follow. These include:
- Wear a life jacket on all types of boats no matter what your age is.
- Don’t drink.
- Take a boating education course.
- Get a vessel safety check – The Vessel Safety Check (VSC) is a free public service provided by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and U.S. Power Squadron volunteer organizations.
- Know about carbon monoxide (CO) in regards to boats.
For further information on boating safety, there are some great free publications on boating safety, including the "Handbook of Michigan Boating Laws and Responsibilities." The book is made available by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and provides easy to understand explanations of the laws and regulations relating to boat safety in Michigan. The lawyers of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. recommend all boaters in Michigan to download and read this publication.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a boat accident in Michigan, you should contact our boat injury lawyers immediately to learn your rights. The experienced lawyers of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. will represent you under our NO FEE promise.
Get started to day and call us at (800) 606-1717 for a free consultation with one of our top-rated lawyers or complete the Get Help Now box on this page. A lawyer will contact you shortly to discuss your case.