Our dog bite lawyers can help you if you were injured in a Battle Creek dog bite attack. These attacks often result in serious injuries, including lacerations, puncture wounds, nerve damage, and broken bones. Dog bite victims incur hospital and medical expenses for their treatment and often need plastic surgery for scars and disfigurements caused by a bite.
We have obtained significant settlements and verdicts for our clients injured in these dog bite attacks. Compensation is paid for pain and suffering, disfigurement, medical expenses, and lost wages. We can help you or someone you care about win the best settlement for your case.
What are Dog Bite Laws in Michigan?
Many cities and counties have ordinances regarding dogs and the responsibilities of dog owners. An owner or keeper of a dog who violates any of these ordinances can be held liable for damages in a civil lawsuit to a dog bite victim. The ordinances can be used to prove a case in addition to other Michigan dog bite laws.
What are Battle Creek Dog Bite Laws?
In Battle Creek, there are laws that apply to dog owners. These can be found in the Battle Creek City Ordinances. Specifically, they are as follows:
As used in this chapter:
(e) "Dangerous animal" means an animal that bites or attacks a person, or another animal. However, "dangerous animal" does not include any of the following:
(1) An animal that bites or attacks a person who is knowingly trespassing on the property of the animal's owner, or who bites and attacks another animal that is on the property of the animal's owner without permission;
(2) An animal that bites or attacks a person who provokes or torments the animal;
(3) An animal that is responding in a manner that an ordinary and reasonable person would conclude was designed to protect a person if that person is engaged in a lawful activity or is the subject of an assault
(aa) "Vicious dog" means an animal of the Canis familaris species which, when either unmuzzled or unleashed or when not confined to the premises of the owner, menaces a person in a manner which an ordinary and reasonable person would conclude to be an apparent attitude of attack. No dog shall be deemed vicious if it menaces a trespasser on the premises of its owner or a person who has provoked or tormented it, or is a trained animal for law enforcement or guard duties.
Obtain Battle Creek Dog Bite Reports
Quite often, the victim of the attack files a report with either the local police or local Animal Control agency. When a report is filed, it is necessary to obtain the report. Our firm routinely obtains these for our clients. For a report filed with police department in Battle Creek, you should request the Animal Control report at the following location:
Battle Creek Police Department
20 N. Division Street
Battle Creek, MI 49014
Free Book By Michigan Dog Bite Lawyer
If you would like more information about your legal rights after a dog bite injury or attack, you can order our FREE book, "The Ultimate Michigan Dog Bite and Animal Attack Handbook" by Michigan dog bite attorney Lawrence J. Buckfire. The book explains the laws on Michigan bites and animal attacks, your legal rights after a bite, and how to get the best money settlement for your injuries. Our book sells for $14.95 on Amazon but Lawrence will send it to you for FREE.
Who are the Best Rated Battle Creek Area Dog Bite Lawyers?
Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. and our lawyers have won the top awards in the legal profession, including:
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firms
- "Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney" by American Lawyer Academy
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Honored as "Super Lawyers"
- Top Martindale-Hubbell Rating (AV) for Skill & Integrity
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Our No Fee Promise on Battle Creek Dog Bite Cases
Don't be concerned about the money you might need to hire a lawyer. You can afford to have the best dog bite law firm on your side without paying a penny out of your pocket. It literally costs nothing to get started and if your dog bite case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to hire us or get started on your case
- We pay all case costs and expenses from start to finish
- You pay no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls to our office are always free, forever.
Start Your Battle Creek Dog Bite Claim Today
There are three ways to get started on your dog bite case today to get the settlement you deserve. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. A dog bite attorney will contact you shortly.
- Chat with our online live operator who will provide your information to our law firm
- Call (800) 606-1717 any time of day to speak with an injury lawyer about your case.
Warning: There is a strict time deadline for filing Battle Creek dog bite lawsuits. Call us today to learn more about Battle Creek dog bite laws.
Battle Creek Resources
- Calhoun County District Court
- Calhoun County Circuit Court
- Battle Creek Police Department
- Battle Creek Wiki Page
Searching for a "Lawyer Near Me?" We handle dog bite cases in Albion, Battle Creek, Marshall, Springfield, Albion Township, Athens Township, Bedford Charter Township, Burlington Township, Clarence Township, Clarendon Township, Convis Township, Eckford Township, Emmett Charter Township, Fredonia Township, Homer Township, Lee Township, Leroy Township, Marengo Township, Marshall Township, Newton Township, Pennfield Charter Township, Sheridan Township, Tekonsha Township, and all other cities and townships in Calhoun County, Michigan.