Our Michigan personal injury lawyers frequently represent clients who have suffered a traumatic back injury. These injuries arise from car accidents, other accidents involving motor vehicles, slip and fall accidents, defective products, recreational injuries, and other types of negligence cases. Injuries to the back can be devastating and cause permanent disability and serious hardship to the injured person.
There are a number of different types of back injuries that result from accidents and these include:
- Spinal cord injuries causing paralysis and/or quadriplegia
- Herniated discs
- Ruptured discs
- Bulging discs
- Nerve damage
- Back pain
- Soft tissue injuries
The treatment for a back injury can vary from a spinal fusion, lumbar laminectomy, a discectomy, epidural pain injections, physical therapy, manipulation, and chiropractic adjustment. Serious injuries require surgery, often with the insertion of hardware, and then lengthy rehabilitation. Unfortunately, many of these surgeries fail for a number of reasons and the injured person must undergo additional surgeries.
Our attorneys have obtained significant back injury settlements for victims injured in a Michigan accident. We have listed some of these settlements below:
- $1,175,000 settlement for client who suffered serious injuries to his back after a fall injury on stairs.
- $1,375,000 settlement for a woman who suffered a spinal cord injury and was paralyzed in a Detroit rear-end car accident.
- $600,000 settlement for a driver suffering a herniated disc that required surgery after being struck by a delivery truck.
- $315,000 settlement for a pedestrian suffering spinal cord injuries after being hit by a car.
- $170,000 settlement for victim suffering multiple herniated discs and mild-traumatic brain injury in a Macomb County rollover car accident.
- $122,500 Detroit Michigan jury verdict against a disability insurance company for refusing to pay our client his insurance benefits resulting from a back injury.
- $100,000 settlement for driver who suffered back injuries in an Ohio car accident.
Back injury settlements vary based upon a number of factors and it is difficult to evaluate your settlement amount without one of our experienced lawyers fully evaluating the facts of your case and your medical records. The primary factors in determining the settlement amount for a back injury include the:
- Manner in which the injury occurred
- Specific medical diagnosis
- Severity of the injury
- Type of treatment required
- Length of the treatment period
- Type of disability caused by the injury
- Degree of pain and discomfort
- Permanency of injury
- Medical expenses, past, present, and future
Many people also have pre-existing back conditions or previous back injuries and it is important to be able to separate the old injury from the new condition, or to show how the new accident aggravated the previous condition. Many times, the aggravation of a pre-existing condition can cause significant harm to a person who was previously able to cope with the injury.
A major factor in determining the appropriate settlement is also the degree in which the injury has impacted the person’s ability to live his or her normal life. If the back injury has caused disability from work, a substantial claim can be made for lost wages or a loss of future earning capacity. Your treating doctor or surgeon is often called upon to support your claim and to explain the serious nature of your injury to the lawyers, insurance company, and jury.
Our firm has obtained substantial back injury settlements for clients just like you that have suffered a serious injury. Every case is different so it is important that you contact our attorneys now at (800) 606-1717 to discuss the unique circumstances of your case and your injury. We will answer all of your questions and evaluate the settlement value of your case.
Back Injury Resources