The Allen Park pit bull attack lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. represent victims seriously injured after being attacked by a pit bull. Our firm has successfully represented dog bite victims and their families for over 40 years throughout the State of Michigan, and has the knowledge, expertise, and experience in handling these types of cases. We have a track record of obtaining sizeable Michigan dog bite settlements, jury verdicts and providing the best service possible for our injured clients after being attacked by a pit bull.
Dog Bite Laws
Many cities and counties have ordinances regarding pit bulls and the responsibilities of dog owners. An owner or keeper of a dog who violates these ordinances can be held liable for damages in a civil lawsuit to a dog bite victim that was attacked by a pit bull. The ordinances can be used to prove a case in addition to other Michigan dog bite laws.
Allen Park Pit Bull Laws
In Allen Park, there are laws that apply to dog owners. A full completed list of pit bull ordinances can be found on the Allen Park City website. Specifically, some laws are as follows:
Sec. 6-90. - Specified bully breeds are prohibited as of February 1, 2009
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to acquire, possession or maintain, within the city, any specified bully breed such as a Pit Bull, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and American Bull dogs.
(b) Any person who knowingly acquires, keeps, harbors, or maintains a specified bully breed within the city after the effectiveness of the ban of the specified bully breeds shall be guilty of a violation hereof and subject to the penalties and sanctions.
Ord. No. 2008-08, § 1(5-46), 12-16-2008
Sec. 6-92. - Any person who claims an exemption to section 6-90 by virtue of preexisting ownership and possession of a licensed specified bully breed shall comply with the following requirements, with respect to that ownership and possession:
- Shall notify the animal control officer/city ordinance warden immediately when the owner has knowledge that such dog is at large, unconfined, has attacked an individual or another animal.
- Shall notify the animal control officer/city ordinance warden within 24 hours when such dog is sold, given away to another person, or dies. The notification shall include the name, address, phone number, and city of the new owner.
- At all times when such dog is outside of any enclosed structure, fenced yard or fenced dog run, the animal shall:
- Be under the control of a person over the age of 18 years;
- Be held securely by a leash of adequate strength to restrain the dog; and
- Have a muzzle over its jaws sufficient to prevent the animal from inflicting any bite upon another person or animal.
- Any litter of puppies from such existing licensed pit bull terriers shall be removed from the city upon attaining the age of six months, or such puppies shall be subject to all other provisions of this division.
- All owners or possessors of existing licensed specified bully breeds shall have a microchip permanently imbedded behind the specified bully breed's head.
- If pit bull is found to be a vicious dog or dangerous dog under state law or other city ordinances shall lose its exemption from sec 6-90, and shall be removed from the city or be destroyed, as provided in this division or by the terms of such law or ordinance.
Ord. No. 2008-08, § 1(5-46.2), 12-16-2008
Dog Bite Lawsuits For Pit Bull Attacks
Michigan law holds the person who owns, keeps, or harbors the dog responsible for a dog bite or attack, regardless of prior knowledge (called, “strict liability” laws) of the viciousness of the animal. Also, the negligence law is used to hold the owner responsible for the attack. This means that the dog owner is liable if the injury occurred because the dog owner was unreasonably careless in controlling the dog. The only defense to the dog owner in these cases is if the victim provoked the attack or was a trespasser on the property.
Contact Your Allen Park Dog Bite Lawyer
If you or a family member were attacked or bitten by a pit bull in Allen Park, you should call our office now at (800) 606-1717 to speak with our top rated pit bull attack lawyers at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. We will start working on your case immediately gathering all the evidence and witness statements to win and settle your case.