Toll-Free: (800) 606-1717
Phone: (248) 569-4646
Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C.

What rights do I have if I was a pedestrian or riding my bicycle in Michigan and I was struck by a car that had no insurance?

If you were a pedestrian or were riding a bicycle and were injured as a result of being struck by an uninsured automobile, you have two potential claims arising out of the automobile accident.  The first claim you have is for no-fault benefits, which will cover your damages for loss wages, medical expenses and household chores.  Even if the other driver did not have insurance, but you owned your own automobile which had car insurance, or you were living with a relative had car insurance, you can make a claim for no-fault benefits through your automobile insurance company or your relative’s automobile insurance company.  Even if you did not have automobile insurance or you were not living with a relative who did not have automobile insurance, you are able to make a claim for no-fault benefits through the Michigan Assigned Claims Facility. 

In addition to making a claim for no-fault benefits, if you had your own automobile insurance which had uninsured motorist coverage or were living with a relative who had automobile insurance which had uninsured motorist coverage, you may be able to make a claim against the insurance company for uninsured motorist coverage, which will cover all of your non-economic damages, including damages for pain and suffering and disfigurement.  Additionally, you may make a claim for any excess economic damages over and above which you are entitled to receive in no-fault benefits.   There are very strict time limitations in pursuing these type of claims. Therefore, if you are involved in an auto accident, we recommend that you contact us immediately.

Best Michigan personal injury lawyer winning highest settlements for injury, malpractice, & accident victims.
Detroit Area Office
  • 29000 Inkster Road, Suite 150
    Southfield, MI 48034
  • Phone: (248) 569-4646
  • Fax: (248) 569-6737
  • Toll Free: (800) 606-1717
  • Get Directions
Ann Arbor Office
Macomb County Office