Toll-Free: (800) 606-1717
Phone: (248) 569-4646
Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C.

Do I have to apply for Social Security Disability after a Michigan car accident?

After a Michigan car accident, the insurer can require that the claimant apply for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits because the law states that claimants have a duty to make reasonable efforts to mitigate their losses. The duty to mitigate includes applying for SSD benefits.

Often times, claimants who are disabled for a prolonged period of time are entitled to SSD benefits. When this occurs, the no-fault insurer is entitled to set-off from its obligation to pay wage loss benefits for amounts the claimant receives or is entitled to receive in Social Security Disability Benefits.

To make a claim for Social Security Disability Benefits, you must apply through the U.S. Social Security Administration.

If you or a family member suffer injuries due to a Michigan auto accident, and are denied your SSD benefits by your no-fault insurance company, contact our office immediately at (800) 606-1717 to speak with one of our experienced Michigan no-fault insurance lawyers. We will start working on your case immediately, gathering all the evidence and witness statements to win and settle your case.

Detroit Area Office
  • 29000 Inkster Road, Suite 150
    Southfield, MI 48034
  • Phone: (248) 569-4646
  • Fax: (248) 569-6737
  • Toll Free: (800) 606-1717
  • Get Directions
Ann Arbor Office
Macomb County Office