Car Accidents
No Legal Fees Until You Settle or Win
Get Free Case Review

Can I sue the federal government for a postal truck accident in Michigan?

Yes you can sue the federal government for postal truck accident in Michigan. However, victims of postal truck accidents in Michigan must be aware that there is an entirely different set of laws for filing these types of cases because the federal government is the party that is being sued.

When a postal truck accident victim files a lawsuit against the federal government they must make an injury claim within two years of the accident to the U.S. Postal Service. This requirement is called the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). This is shorter than the three year statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit against a negligent driver for a car accident in Michigan. Notice must be made by completing an administrative claim form, also known as a Form 95. You must properly complete the form for all claims, including both personal injury claims and property damage claims. If the claim is denied, you have only six months from the date of the denial to file your lawsuit against that federal agency.

Lawrence J. Buckfire
Connect with me
Best Michigan personal injury lawyer winning highest settlements for injury, malpractice, & accident victims.