Case Type: Eye Injury Malpractice Settlement - Vision Loss
Facts of the Case
This case involved a 55-year-old woman who was presented to the hospital with signs and symptoms of a retinal detachment. However, instead of obtaining an ophthalmology consultation and/or performing a proper eye examination, the physician misdiagnosed her with a rare stroke and discharged her home for non-emergent follow-up care. As a result, the patient's retinal detachment went undiagnosed and untreated for ten days. Unfortunately, by the time the detachment was diagnosed and emergency corrective surgery was performed, it was too late to restore vision in the eye and she has been left with little/no vision in the eye.
Types of Injuries and Harm Suffered
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent loss of vision in one eye
- Difficulties with all activities of daily living
Other Types of Damages
- Medical bills
- Need for additional supervision, care and assistance
Legal Issues in the Case
- Whether the patient was presented with symptoms of a retinal detachment
- Whether the patient properly followed the discharge instructions
- Whether earlier diagnosis and treatment would have prevented the loss of vision in the eye
What We Did To Win The Settlement
After a detailed review of the medical records from numerous physicians and hospitals, we put together a detailed timeline of events and chronology of the events contained in the medical records. We then retained leading experts in the fields of emergency medicine and ophthalmology. After a detailed demand letter was sent and a series of lengthy negotiation discussions, the case was able to be settled pre-suit and prior to the commencement of any litigation.
Our No-Fee Promise on Michigan Medical Malpractice Cases
You can afford to have the best medical malpractice law firm on your side. It literally costs nothing to get started and the insurance company may even have to pay some of our legal fees for you. We promise you in writing:
Start Your Michigan Medical Malpractice Claim
There are three ways to get started on your medical malpractice case. You can:
- Free Case Review Box on this page,
- Chat with the Live Operator on this screen
- Call any time of day to discuss your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan medical malpractice lawsuits.