Case Type: Kalamazoo Fatal Accident Settlement
Settlement: $20,000 for the Estate of Jayden Johnson; $10,000 for Jewel Cotton; $10,000 for Christopher Adams
Facts of the Case
On April 1, 2016, Jewel Cotton was a front-seat passenger in a vehicle being driven by Nicole Camden, along with co-claimants - the two back-seat passengers - Christopher Adams, Jr. (age 6 on the date of loss and in pro per) and Jayden Johnson (age 4 on the date of loss and also represented by The Buckfire Law Firm), when Ms. Camden began speeding, lost control of the vehicle, and collided into a retaining wall on U.S.-131, flipping the vehicle several times in Kalamazoo Township, Michigan.
Sadly, young Jayden Johnson was ejected from the vehicle and did not survive this terrible crash. Both Jewel Cotton and Christopher Adams, Jr. sustained serious psychological injuries arising out of the collision.
Thereafter, the Estate of Jayden Johnson, Jewel Cotton, and Christopher Adams, Jr. all brought tort claims for their personal injuries against the woefully underinsured Nicole Camden, whose liability insurance carrier – Esurance – tendered the paltry policy limits of $20,000.00 per person/$40,000.00 per occurrence without hesitation.
The Estate of Jayden Johnson received the maximum amount of recovery allowable under the Esurance insurance policy, $20,000.00, and Jewel Cotton and Christopher Adams, Jr. equally split the remaining $20,000.00 available pursuant to Esurance’s coverage.
Types of Injuries and Harm Suffered
- Jewel Cotton: psychological damages, including post-traumatic stress disorder and depression
- Jayden Johnson: death
- Christopher Adams, Jr: unknown, as this claimant represented himself through these proceedings, vis-a-vis his aunt who acted as his Next Friend
Other Types of Damages
- Loss of Consortium damages for the wrongful death heirs, including a two-year old half-brother of the decedent
Legal Issues in the Case
- Coordinating of Court hearing dates with the in pro per claimant, ensuring that Mr. Adams had a Next Friend appointed to represent his interests, and determining all possible heirs under the wrongful death statute
- Equitably allocating the insufficient policy limits tendered by Esurance between three claimants
What We Did to Win the Settlement
Our auto accident lawyers opened the bodily injury and wrongful death claims with Esurance, while investigating to confirm that no other insurance was available. We then obtained Esurance's compliance in tendering the policy limits.
We worked to secure the appointments of proper persons to act as the Next Friend of Mr. Adams, as well as the Personal Representative of the Estate of Jayden Johnson. We also had to determine the proper interested parties and wrongful death heirs in a fairly complex family tree.
Finally, we acquired the Probate Court's approval of the settlement for all claimants and heirs.
Our No-Fee Promise on Michigan Auto Accident and Wrongful Death Cases
You can afford to have the best Michigan auto accident law firm on your side. It literally costs nothing to get started. We promise you in writing:
Start Your Michigan Car Accident Claim
There are three ways to get started on your Michigan car accident case. You can:
- Free Case Review Box on this page,
- Chat with the Live Operator on this screen
- Call 1-800-606-1717 any time of day to discuss your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan car accident lawsuits.