Lawrence J. Buckfire won a jury verdict in the amount of $ 5,000,080.00 for the estate of a woman who died due to neglect in a Michigan assisted living facility. The 90 year old resident gained access to an unsecured cabinet in an open kitchen and drank a caustic chemical in an open container. She was not supervised by staff at the time of the incident.
The woman suffered severe burns to her mouth, throat, and esophagus and died two weeks later at Providence Hospital in Southfield, Michigan. The award was for her conscioius pain and suffering until her death, the loss of society and companionship by family members, and funeral and medial expenses The jury deliberated less than three hours before returning the verdict.