TUSCOLA COUNTY -- Two ice fishermen were two miles from shore on Saginaw Bay around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 7, when one of them broke through the ice and went into the frigid waters, according to the Saginaw News.
The Tuscola County Sheriff's Office said police believe the two men, a 20-year-old from Akron and a 21-year-old from Clarkston, had been drinking and riding around on their snowmobiles when one of the men fell through the ice early Tuesday.
The sheriff's office said they had left shore at Thomas Road, southwest of Sebewaing.
Tuscola County Dispatch got a call around 1:22 a.m. saying one of the men had fallen through the ice.
The man who fell through was able to get out of the water before the U.S. Coast Guard arrived, the sheriff's office said. Coast Guard officers retrieved the man and took him back to shore as the other man drove his snowmobile back.
Both men refused medical treatment, the sheriff's office states, and the Akron man was cited for being a minor consuming alcohol.
"This is the type of winter where it is apparent that there is no safe ice on Saginaw Bay," the sheriff's office said. "The bay is not locked in by ice this year and very susceptible to winds opening up the ice. Runoffs from recent rains also can undercut the ice."
What Should I Do After A Saginaw Auto Accident?
There are several things that you should do immediately after a car accident, which include:
- Notify of the police of the accident, especially if they do not come to the accident scene.
- Provide the investigating officer with your drivers license, proof of insurance, & vehicle registration.
- Make sure there is a written police report made after the accident.
- Get the drivers license number and license plate number of the other vehicles in the crash.
- Take photographs on your phone of damage to your car and other vehicles.
- Get the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of all witnesses to the accident.
- Report the accident to your own auto insurance company after the accident.
- Request an Application for No-Fault Insurance Benefits from your insurance agent.
- Contact our experienced attorneys to advise you on your rights and to begin pursuing your claims.
Our No-Fee Promise on Saginaw Accident Cases
If you're in a Saginaw car accident, call our award-winning car accident lawyers.
Don't be concerned about the money you might need to hire a lawyer. You can afford to have the best car accident law firm on your side without paying a penny out of your pocket. It costs nothing to get started and if your auto accident case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to hire us or get started on your case
- We pay all case costs and expenses from start to finish
- You pay no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls to our office are always free, forever.
Start Your Saginaw Car Accident Claim
There are three ways to get started on your car accident case today to get the settlement you deserve. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. An auto accident attorney will contact you shortly.
- Chat with our online live operator who will provide your information to our law firm
- Call (800) 606-1717 any time of day to speak with an injury lawyer about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan car accident lawsuits. Call us today to learn more about the Michigan auto accident laws.