KENTWOOD -- Drive 44th Street through the intersection of Eastern Avenue on the southern border of Grand Rapids during the winter and you can say you've survived the slickest intersection in Kent County, according to the Grand Rapids Press.
The intersection had the third-highest number of crashes in ice and snow in Michigan in 2016, and also had the most crashes in all of Michigan in those conditions throughout the last five years.
The crossing on the busy east-west 44th Street corridor that links the Gerald R. Ford International Airport to U.S. 131 is one of the first priorities to be cleared in the wintertime, according to public works officials.
In the past five years, the intersection has seen the most crashes in snow and ice than any other in Michigan. There were 68 crashes in those slick conditions from 2012 to 2016, according to Michigan State Police data.
According to data collected by the Michigan State Police, here are how many crashes occur in snow, ice and slushy conditions within a 200-foot radius of the intersection:
- 2016: 10
- 2015: 15
- 2014: 15
- 2013: 23
- 2012: 5
Though 44th and Eastern rises to the top of the list for the number of wintery crashes in Kent County, it's not a deadly one.
No one was injured during crashes at the intersection on icy and snowy roads in 2015, 2014 or 2013, according to a review of incident reports. Reports from 2016 were not yet available.
Data was collected from the Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning.
What Should I Do After A Grand Rapids Auto Accident?
There are several things that you should do immediately after a car accident, which include:
- Notify of the police of the accident, especially if they do not come to the accident scene.
- Provide the investigating officer with your drivers license, proof of insurance, & vehicle registration.
- Make sure there is a written police report made after the accident.
- Get the drivers license number and license plate number of the other vehicles in the crash.
- Take photographs on your phone of damage to your car and other vehicles.
- Get the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of all witnesses to the accident.
- Report the accident to your own auto insurance company after the accident.
- Request an Application for No-Fault Insurance Benefits from your insurance agent.
- Contact our experienced attorneys to advise you on your rights and to begin pursuing your claims.
Our No-Fee Promise on Grand Rapids Car Accident Cases
If you're in a Grand Rapids car accident, call our award-winning car accident lawyers.
Don't be concerned about the money you might need to hire a lawyer. You can afford to have the best car accident law firm on your side without paying a penny out of your pocket. It costs nothing to get started and if your auto accident case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to hire us or get started on your case
- We pay all case costs and expenses from start to finish
- You pay no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls to our office are always free, forever.
Start Your Grand Rapids Car Accident Claim
There are three ways to get started on your car accident case today to get the settlement you deserve. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. An auto accident attorney will contact you shortly.
- Chat with our online live operator who will provide your information to our law firm
- Call 1-800-606-1717 any time of day to speak with an injury lawyer about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan car accident lawsuits. Call us today to learn more about the Michigan auto accident laws.