Michigan State Police troopers are ratcheting up their efforts to combat distracted driving in the Great Lakes Bay Region, according to the Bay City Times.
Troopers at the Tri-City Post, at 2402 Salzburg Road in Williams Township, announced they are increasing directed patrols throughout Bay, Saginaw, and Midland counties.
On April 27, troopers focused on the US-10 corridor in Bay County and used an unmarked vehicle to spot distracted drivers. The detail ended up stopping 27 vehicles in a three-hour period.
The troopers issued 14 verbal warnings and 26 citations, five of which were for distracted driving.
The state police define distracted driving as "a visual task and non-driving activities that draw the driver's eyes away from the roadway should always be avoided." The agency adds there are three types of distracted driving -- visual, manual and cognitive.
While talking on a cellphone while driving is not illegal in Michigan, texting while driving is and has been since 2010. A first offense citation costs $100; subsequent citations run $200.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 94 percent of car crashes are the result of driver error, according to the article.
What Should I Do After A Bay City Auto Accident?
There are several things that you should do immediately after a car accident, which include:
- Notify of the police of the accident, especially if they do not come to the accident scene.
- Provide the investigating officer with your drivers license, proof of insurance, & vehicle registration.
- Make sure there is a written police report made after the accident.
- Get the drivers license number and license plate number of the other vehicles in the crash.
- Take photographs on your phone of damage to your car and other vehicles.
- Get the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of all witnesses to the accident.
- Report the accident to your own auto insurance company after the accident.
- Request an Application for No-Fault Insurance Benefits from your insurance agent.
- Contact our experienced attorneys to advise you on your rights and to begin pursuing your claims.
Our No-Fee Promise on Bay City Car Accident Cases
If you're in a Bay City car accident, call our award-winning car accident lawyers.
Don't be concerned about the money you might need to hire a lawyer. You can afford to have the best car accident law firm on your side without paying a penny out of your pocket. It costs nothing to get started and if your auto accident case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to hire us or get started on your case
- We pay all case costs and expenses from start to finish
- You pay no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls to our office are always free, forever.
Start Your Bay City Car Accident Claim
There are three ways to get started on your car accident case today to get the settlement you deserve. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. An auto accident attorney will contact you shortly.
- Chat with our online live operator who will provide your information to our law firm
- Call 1-800-606-1717 any time of day to speak with an injury lawyer about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Michigan car accident lawsuits. Call us today to learn more about the Michigan auto accident laws.