Safeway Transportation school buses were rolling down the streets of Detroit, carrying kids to and from school for about a month with no valid insurance, according to Detroit school officials.
The company, one of four the Detroit Public Schools Community District uses to provide bus service to students, let its insurance lapse March 2 for failure to pay its premium, Chrystal Wilson, a spokeswoman for the district, said in an e-mail to the Detroit Free Press.
The district didn't discover the lapse until Monday. That's when Interim Superintendent Alycia Meriweather began working with the other three companies to reassign Safeway's 67 routes. The other three companies are ABC Student Transportation, Trinity Transportation, and DHT Transportation.
The reassigning caused delays of as much as 90 minutes Tuesday.
Safeway was responsible for transporting 3,000 students. Safeway officials could not be reached for comment.
What Should I Do After A School Bus Accident?
There are several things that you should do immediately after a school bus accident, which include:
- Notify of the police of the accident, especially if they do not come to the accident scene.
- Provide the investigating officer with your drivers license, proof of insurance, & vehicle registration.
- Make sure there is a written police report made after the accident.
- Get the drivers license number and license plate number of the other vehicles in the crash.
- Take photographs on your phone of damage to your car and other vehicles.
- Get the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of all witnesses to the accident.
- Report the accident to your own auto insurance company after the accident.
- Request an Application for No-Fault Insurance Benefits from your insurance agent.
- Contact our experienced attorneys to advise you on your rights and to begin pursuing your claims.
Our No-Fee Promise on School Bus Accident Cases
If you're in a Kalamazoo school bus accident, call our award-winning school bus accident lawyers.
Don't be concerned about the money you might need to hire a lawyer. You can afford to have the best school bus accident law firm on your side without paying a penny out of your pocket. It costs nothing to get started and if your auto accident case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to hire us or get started on your case
- We pay all case costs and expenses from start to finish
- You pay no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls to our office are always free, forever.
Start Your School Bus Accident Claim
There are three ways to get started on your car accident case today to get the settlement you deserve. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. An auto accident attorney will contact you shortly.
- Chat with our online live operator who will provide your information to our law firm
- Call 1-800-606-1717 any time of day to speak with an injury lawyer about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing school bus accident lawsuits. Call us today to learn more about the Michigan auto accident laws.