Our wrongful death attorneys recently settled a case arising out of the tragic death of an infant. The child and her family had moved into the apartment complex in Macomb County, Michigan approximately two months before the incident. The apartment complex furnished vertical blinds with the unit that had a loop cord on the end. The child woke up from a short nap and was discovered tangled up in the cord by her father. Emergency attempts to resuscitate the young girl were unsuccessful.
Despite knowing that young children would be living in the apartment unit, the complex and management company did not take any steps to make the unit safe for the children. According to the CPSC, corded window coverings are one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes, with infants and children dying each year from accidentally strangling in window cords. The maintenance staff failed to install any safety devices to eliminate the mini blind cord hazard and new blinds could have been purchased to replace the dangerous set for about ten dollars. A drapery tension cord device could have been used to eliminate the strangulation hazard or even more basic, the loop could have been cut with scissors. In fact, the National Window Coverings Safety Council even offers free mini blind retrofit kits to eliminate the hazards.
On behalf of the surviving family members, we filed our lawsuit in the Macomb County Circuit Court in Mt. Clemens, Michigan. After extensive discovery, including written interrogatories and numerous depositions, the parties began engaging in settlement discussions. The parties eventually agreed to settle the case for $725,000.00 and this was approved by the trial judge.