A vehicle that drove off a bridge onto Interstate 375 in downtown Detroit last night, Mar. 2, led to a 20-car pileup that closed part of the highway for hours, according to the Detroit News.
A driver on Gratiot "went over the edge of the bridge" about 8:20 p.m., according to Detroit Deputy Fire Commissioner David Fornell.
Authorities pulled the woman and her child from the vehicle. They were taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to Fornell.
That incident caused a chain reaction that created a 20-car pileup on the interstate. First responders noted I-375 was coated "in a sheet of ice," Fornell said. All the cars had to be towed, and salt trucks were called to tend to the ice.
The icy conditions prompted the Michigan Department of Transportation to tweet Thursday: "Snow squalls & cold temps in Metro Det, roads conditions need slower speeds & extreme caution. Focus only on driving while driving."
What Should I Do After A Detroit Auto Accident?
There are several things that you should do immediately after a car accident, which include:
- Notify of the police of the accident, especially if they do not come to the accident scene.
- Provide the investigating officer with your drivers license, proof of insurance, & vehicle registration.
- Make sure there is a written police report made after the accident.
- Get the drivers license number and license plate number of the other vehicles in the crash.
- Take photographs on your phone of damage to your car and other vehicles.
- Get the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of all witnesses to the accident.
- Report the accident to your own auto insurance company after the accident.
- Request an Application for No-Fault Insurance Benefits from your insurance agent.
- Contact our experienced attorneys to advise you on your rights and to begin pursuing your claims.
Our No-Fee Promise on Detroit Car Accident Cases
If you're in a Detroit car accident, call our award-winning car accident lawyers.
Don't be concerned about the money you might need to hire a lawyer. You can afford to have the best car accident law firm on your side without paying a penny out of your pocket. It costs nothing to get started and if your auto accident case is unsuccessful for any reason, you owe us nothing. We promise you in writing:
- No money to hire us or get started on your case
- We pay all case costs and expenses from start to finish
- You pay no legal fees whatsoever unless you receive a settlement
- Phone calls to our office are always free, forever.
Start Your Detroit Car Accident Claim
There are three ways to get started on your car accident case today to get the settlement you deserve. You can:
- Submit the Free Case Review Box on this page. An auto accident attorney will contact you shortly.
- Chat with our online live operator who will provide your information to our law firm
- Call (800) 606-1717 any time of day to speak with an injury lawyer about your case.
Warning: There are strict time deadlines for filing Flint car accident lawsuits. Call us today to learn more about the Michigan auto accident laws.