Lawrence J. Buckfire (Larry Buckfire) earned his undergraduate degree in economics from the University of Michigan in 1986 and his juris doctor degree from Wayne State University School of Law in 1989. He has been in private practice since successfully completing the bar exam in 1989. He is admitted to practice law in the State of Michigan, State of Ohio, and in the United States District Court.
Lawrence is the lead trial attorney and managing partner at Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. The law firm was founded in 1969 by his father David Buckfire with the principle of representing clients with the highest degree of integrity, compassion, and professionalism. Lawrence's mother, Vicky Buckfire, joined David in the firm several years later. Lawrence and Daniel both joined their parents upon their completion of law school.
Mr. Buckfire has devoted his legal career to helping the most vulnerable members of our society, children and the elderly. He specializes in child lead paint poisoning, wrongful death, nursing home neglect, medical malpractice, and other serious injury cases. "Successfully pursuing these cases is the best way to protect the members of our community from future harm," said Larry.
Lawrence is a highly skilled trial attorney with a reputation for meticulous trial preparation and presentation. Jurors appreciate his attention to detail and his professional manner. He has won substantial verdicts over his career, including a $5 million verdict in an assisted living wrongful death lawsuit.
He is a member of the Michigan Association for Justice and the American Association for Justice. He also serves as a mediator with the Wayne County Mediation Tribunal. He is a contributing author to Forbes Legal Council and is often quoted legal expert by writers covering news stories on established news and information websites.
Call (800) 606-1717 for a free case review and speak to Larry Buckfire about your case today.
Areas of Practice
- Wrongful Death
- Nursing Home Neglect
- Automobile Negligence
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability Cases
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan, 1989
- Juris Doctor
- University of Michigan, 1986
- Major: Economics
Notable Settlements & Verdicts
- $5,080,000 assisted living death jury verdict
- $3,650,000 wrongful death settlement
- $1,800,000 truck accident settlement
- $1,425,000 premises liability injury settlement
- $1,400,000 child lead poisoning settlement
- $1,325,000 slip and fall jury verdict
- $1,250,000 car accident settlement
- $900,000 swimming pool drowning settlement
- Numerous confidential medical malpractice settlements
Professional Honors & Activities
- Named "Best Detroit Personal Injury Lawyer" by DB Magazine
- Awarded "Best Michigan Personal Injury Attorney" by American Lawyer Academy
- Earned highest rating of 10.0 by AVVO, the top Internet Lawyer Rating Service
- Top AV Peer Rating for Skill & Integrity by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named Best Lawyer by U.S. News & World Report
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer"
- Named Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan
- Named Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in Michigan by American Society of Legal Advocates
- Designated as a Premier 100 Lawyer by The National Academy of Jurisprudence
- Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Named to Top Lawyers in Detroit by Hour Magazine
- Michigan Association for Justice - Member
- American Association for Justice – Member
- Wayne County Mediation Tribunal – Mediator
- Ohio Association for Justice - Member
- Top Corporate Fundraiser for MADD’s signature event
Presentations & Speeches
- Issues in Lead Poisoning Litigation in Michigan presented to the Michigan Department of Community Health, Lead Poisoning Prevention Department, Lansing, Michigan
- Copywriting For Attorneys and Search Engine Optimization for Law Firm to the American Lawyer Academy
- Michigan No-Fault Insurance Benefits Presentation to the Michigan Neuropsychological Society
- Law Firm Marketing to Newport Beach, California Conference
- Childhood Lead Poisoning to the Michigan Department of Health
- Michigan No-Fault Benefits Presentation to a seminar for Nurse Case Managers
Books authored by Lawrence J. Buckfire include:
- "The Ultimate Michigan Car Accident Handbook"
- "The Ultimate Michigan Motorcycle Accident Handbook"
- "The Ultimate Michigan Bicycle Accident Guide"
- "The Ultimate Michigan Pedestrian Accident Guide"
- "The Ultimate Michigan Dog Bite & Animal Attack Handbook"
- "The Ultimate Michigan Medical Malpractice Handbook"
- "The Michigan Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Handbook"
- "The Michigan Motorcycle Accident Insurance Handbook"
- "The Ultimate Michigan Wrongful Death Lawsuit Handbook"
- "How To Subpoena Cell Phone Records"
- "Little Kids, Big Accidents"
Articles written by Lawrence J. Buckfire include:
- Buckfire, Lawrence J. "Every Law Firm Needs A Disaster Plan: How To Get Started."
Http://www.forbes.com. Forbes, 9 Feb. 2016. Web.
- Buckfire, Lawrence J. "The Pros Of Being A Self-Published Lawyer."
Http://www.forbes.com. Forbes, 26 Feb. 2016. Web.
- Buckfire, Lawrence J. "What Every Law Firm Should Know About Employee Overtime Pay."
Http://www.forbes.com. Forbes, 18 Feb. 2016. Web.
- Buckfire, Lawrence J. “5 Metrics That Every Law Firm Should Track.”
Http://www.forbes.com. Forbes, 24, Mar. 2016. Web
Articles quoting Lawrence J. Buckfire as a legal expert include:
- How Toxic is the Water in Flint? (Healthline)
- How One Law Firm Manages Customer Feedback (ReviewTrackers)
- 3 Nasty Neighbors Who Can Block Your Home Sale – and How to Deal (Realtor.com)
- Thanks To Theranos, Health Tech Is Under More Scrutiny (Tech.Co)
- Law and Order: Don’t Let Your Business Succumb to Litigation (AllBusiness)
- General Liability Insurance & The Case of the $20,000 Puddle (Insureon)
- Slip & Fall Injuires in Small Business (Insureon)
- U.S. District Court For Eastern District of Michigan
- Member, Michigan Brain Injury Association
- Member, Michigan Brain Injury Council
- Michigan Statewide Sponsor for Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) & Top Fundraiser
- Member of American Bikers Aimed Towards Education (AIM)
- Carnival of Care Sponsor For Traumatic Brain Injury Survivors
- University of Michigan Alumni Association
Larry is a passionate baseball fan and has attended games at 23 different major league stadiums and five minor league parks. A life-long Detroit Tigers fan, he still has a piece of the Tiger Stadium outfield grass from the 1984 World Series clincher in his freezer. He also loves to attend concerts and was lucky to see The Who and The Rolling Stones in back to back nights in Las Vegas a few years back.
Larry spends all of his spare moments outside of work with his beautiful wife and their three children, all of whom attend public schools. He a has never missed any of his children's school concerts, sporting activities, or dance recitals. The family enjoys spending their winter breaks in San Diego and has travelled extensively throughout Europe and South America over the last few years. Future trips and family vacations are in the works.