Recently the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) released a study that Medtronic sponsored doctors promoted several “off-label,” or unapproved, uses of the Medtronic Infuse Bone Graft system. As a result, Medtronic may be held liable for “off-label” procedures if patients suffer significant harm and even death.
Although, there has not been a recall on the Medtronic Infuse Bone Graft itself, complications prompt recall speculation, and patients injured still may have the legal ground to pursue a lawsuit. This is because the manufacturer was quick to promote the claimed benefits of their Infuse Bone Graft implants, but failed to use the medical device only for the approved use. The FDA approved the device to be used in surgeries for the lower back and only with anterior lumbar interbody fusion (ALIF”) surgery. However, Medtronic allegedly encouraged physicians to use the device for off-label procedures, particularly in cervical spine surgeries. As a result of these off-label surgeries, patients are suffering significant complications and severe life-threating injuries.
At the law firm of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C., our qualified defective medical device attorneys are currently representing clients who have suffered serious injury and harm from Infuse Bone Graft devices. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Ectopic Bone Growth
- Difficulty Breathing, Swallowing, or Speaking
- Respiratory Depression
- Nerve Damage
- Back Pain
- Leg Pain
- Male Sterility
- Urinary Problems
- Increased Cancer Risk
Compensation In a Michigan Infuse Bone Graft Lawsuit
Patients who have suffered significant injuries do have legal rights and may be able to file a defective medical device claim against Medtronic for complications arising out of the defective medical device. These Infuse Bone Graft lawsuits seek compensation for a number of different types of damages, including:
- Pain and Suffering- you are entitled to compensation for both the physical and psychological damages caused by the defective medical device and the subsequent surgeries.
- Medical Bills – you are entitled to receive compensation for costs related to the Infuse Bone Graft, including doctor’s visits, medical tests, pain and other medications, hospitalization, and additional surgery.
- Lost Income – you are entitled to receive compensation for your lost earnings and wages, including the past, present, and future.
- Spousal damages – your spouse is entitled to receive compensation for the effect of this defective medical device on your relationship and marriage.
- Punitive Damages – you may be entitled to a punitive damage award to discourage similar conduct by Medtronic in the future.
Contact a Michigan Infuse Bone Graft Lawyer
If you have undergone an “off-label” Infuse Bone Graft procedure and have suffered injury or harm as a result, you should discuss your case with one of our qualified expert lawyers about whether you are eligible for compensation and if you can participate in an Infuse Bone Graft lawsuit. We will obtain all of your medical records and have them reviewed by a board-certified surgeon. We will pay all of these costs ourselves. There is no obligation for the phone call and if we accept your case, we will represent you under our NO FEE PROMISE, which means that you will not be charged any legal fees or costs whatsoever unless we obtain a settlement for you.
Call us today at (800) 606-1717 to discuss your legal rights with an experienced Michigan Infuse Bone Graft Lawyer and to see if you are eligible to file a lawsuit against Medtronic.