Toll-Free: (800) 606-1717
Phone: (248) 569-4646
Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C.

Home Modifications After A Michigan Car Accident

Home modifications  are in important benefit available to accident victims under the Michigan No-Fault laws.  Accident victims who suffer serious injuries in a motor vehicle accident may be unable to comfortably live in their current home or apartment after leaving the hospital or rehabilitation center because of limitations related to their injuries.  Michigan home modifications and accommodations benefits are payments for the remodeling the residence to make the living situation more accessible and comfortable for the injured person.

The auto insurance company is required to pay to remodel the residence, with such things  as handicapped ramps, additional rooms, wider doorways, and accessible bathrooms and showers.  Typically, an occupational therapist will evaluate the needs of the injured person, assess the residence, and make recommendations for modifications.  The insurance adjuster can recommend a contractor for the remodeling job or the insured can choose their own contractor and the company must pay the reasonable cost of those modifications.

If the injured person cannot return to the same residence after the accident, the insurance company must pay the cost of the new housing as well as modifications to the housing.  In some instances, the insurer is required to purchase and modify a new home.  If the injury victim relocates to a new apartment, the company must modify the unit to make it accessible.

Home Modification & Accommodation Payments

There is no limit on the amount of money that the no-fault insurance company must pay. The dollar amount paid for these services depends on the type of disability and the special needs of the injured person. Typically, an architect or contractor works alongside the medical provider  and occupational therapist to design the most appropriate changes for the home. 

Submitting Your Home Modifications Claim

Your home modifications claim must be submitted to the insurance adjuster assigned to your claim. To file your claim, you need a prescription from your doctor or an occupational therapist for these modifications and a reasonable plan for the remodeling. Additionally, you may need to enter a contract with a construction company for the remodeling before you submit your claim.

Time Limit for Your Home Modifications Claim

You should submit your home modifications claim after has been determined by a doctor or occupational therapist that changes to your current residence are necessary for your rehabilitation and recovery.  Patients with spinal cord injuries and other conditions that require the use of a wheelchair almost always qualify for these benefits.   You should submit your claim once you have entered into an agreement with a contractor.  Although not required, some insurance companies will pay for the remodeling during the project and make payments until it is completed.

What To Do If Your Home Modifications Claim is Denied

If your insurance company refuses to pay your home modifications benefits, your only recourse is to file a lawsuit against your insurance company.  You must file the lawsuit within one year of the date the expense was incurred or you will not be able to collect that benefit.  The insurance company will ask the judge to dismiss your claim.

Contact a Michigan Home Modifications Claim Lawyer

For more information about your rights regarding Michigan modifications benefits call us now at  (800) 606-1717 to speak with one of our expert Michigan No-Fault Insurance Lawyers.  You can also submit the GET HELP NOW form on this page and an attorney will call you shortly to discuss your case further.

Best Michigan personal injury lawyer winning highest settlements for injury accident victims in Michigan.
Detroit Area Office
  • 25800 Northwestern Highway
    Southfield, MI 48075
  • Phone: (248) 569-4646
  • Fax: (248) 569-6737
  • Toll Free: (800) 606-1717
  • Get Directions
Ann Arbor Office
  • 343 S. Main Street, #206
    Ann Arbor, MI 48104
  • Phone: (734) 780-7633
  • Fax: (248) 569-4646
  • Toll Free: (800) 606-1717
  • Get Directions